What breed is he??? (Pics. available)

ChickLover98

The Chicken Princess
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Pennsylvania
I was told he is a Rhode Island Red. He is 1 year and 3 months old. His name is Jasper. Is he really RIR? I'm doubting it.

55349_chickies_2010_006.jpg

55349_chickies_2010_001.jpg

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HEEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!!!!!
(In the background is my hen Thalia)

Last edited:
Thanks. He is a sweetie pie, too.

Oh noooo!!!!!!!! Is he really a mutt???
idunno.gif
Now theres no hope of getting "normal" chickies!!!!!

I was going to raise chicks and sell them, but I guess I should reserve all of my eggs for breakfast...
hide.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
You were told he was a RIR so I'm staying with the Red Sex link thought..we do raise them and he looks very much like one...and then they were not totally dis-honest with you..he would be half RIR or a RIR Cross..Daddy Roo was a RIR any of those would have been more honest and accurate.RIR chicks are always orangy red.RSL pullets about the same and RSL boys white
All chickens are normal chickens.It just depends on what your breeding for...if it's egg layers you have a super roo to use if it's show birds your just out of luck..I can tell you people here buy mixed layers much more than pure "pedigree" chickens they want breakfast!

He looks like a cross to me also. Probably some kind of sex link.
Alot of people love crossed chickens. You never know what you will get. I have my pure breeds, but I have plenty crosses that look and do lovely. My crosses seem to be more durable through the hard times....ex....predators, hot, cold, and rain. I have to keep a closer eye on my pure breeds to make sure nothing bad happens to them, but the crosses run everywhere and I rarely lose on of them. I would say you can still sell chicks and/or hatching eggs, but maybe not for quite as much if they were pure.

Quote:
you can still hatch and sell chicks with him. I've sold several mixed chicks. I post adds on Craig's list and am honest. Most people where I live don't care about breed specifics just most want hens, roos you can't make a penny off of so we just send them to freezer camp.
-ps my mixed chicks at 2 months (fairly easy to sex then) I usually sell the pullets at $7 a piece sexed, younger non sexed are $4 each. Could probably get more but would rather sell them fast then wait for someone to bite at a higher price.

Back
Top Bottom