lets see the "ugly" coops plz

drunkdog

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Everett
this was brought up in another thread so I figured Id start this thread...I want to see ugly ghetto and not pretty fancy painted chicken coops plz....dont be bashful I personally love the rustic look and look forward eagerly to all that share so I can gain some motivation to build yet again
big_smile.png

Thank you for starting this thread. When we started looking at the coop section, DH said, "find me something we can afford to build." He said all the coops I was looking at were $1000 and up! I was shocked - it's only wood, nails & paint. I bought the first round of lumber this week ($160) and construction starts this weekend. Still need to get the roofing (SunTuf, aprox. $100) and paint. I think it's going to look nice, and am trying to keep it under $300. Will post pics as we go.

I couldn't believe the prices of pre-made coops. We are turning an old room on the outside of the barn into a chicken coop. The room itself is roughly 30' deep(almost the entire depth of the barn) and about 15' wide. We'll also construct a room to hold brooding chicks and feed/supplies. So overall area for the chickens will be less then the 30 x 15, but not by much.

Should easily house our 40 chickens + more. The chickens are free ranged from first thing in the morning-8:00/9:00pm so they won't be cooped too long.

The Kibble Goddess,

http://www.freecycle.org/
and http://www.craigslist.org are going to be your BEST FRIEND, it may take a bit longer to get everything, but free is a lot better than $1,000.00!

Personally i'm using some old pallets, hope to get the project started in a few weeks (after i finish my Shed made from pallets)

Think outside the box, even if your makings a box!

(and you have made me make my sig! thanks!)

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL.. theres a thread about wanting to make a coop from a outhouse.. this one actually looks nice!

Thanks MJ. It was never an outhouse, just made to look that way. I have a fliptop bench inside with the nextboxes built underneath. I'm trying to figure out how to add a toilet seat to it. Normal sized ones are too big! lol Maybe I could cut some out using my scrollsaw.

This one started out as just the top A-frame for a sort of tractor ( you can sort of tell by the door on the short side) ....I got the bright idea to just add onto it for room
yippiechickie.gif
It aint purty, but it gets the job done
ya.gif
And its soon to be sectioned back into 2 pieces for a new addition to the big coop we're building
wee.gif
The part under the tarp has 1/3 covered in OSB and the rest with the green plastic netting, for ventilation in the AM, and its usually covered during the rest of the day/night to keep sun out, and keep the dew off the chickens

62442_picture_288.jpg

48712_coop.jpg

Mine was built for free. We used things from around the house, things we found and whatever we could snag from relatives houses. The right side has a tin roof and the left side is their 'screened in porch' (not really screen, of course). It is 16' x 10'. I have had my girls for about 18 months and so far I have not heard any of them complaining about it!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom