Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

Robert Blosl

Rest in Peace -2013
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
Silverhill, Alabama
FRANKREESESMALE.jpg

How many of you have Barred Rocks that look like this male? This rooster is from a strain of Frank Reeses. His farm is Good Shepard Poulty Ranch in Kansas.
They are suppose to be large breasted, heavy layers and good eating. Look forward to your reply.

Hi, Robert (do you go by Robert or Bob?). Have read some of your articles! I have typical utility type BRs, one hatchery and some a few generations away from the hatchery, but I love them anyway. They are excellent layers and my favorite variety of Rock. I also have two blues and a black. I would like to improve the looks of mine one day soon and plan to do so. Gorgeous male there! The only males I keep are very deep bodied like your guy--that type is what I mainly look for in my BR roosters, but I'd love to veer toward that crisp barring as well.

Bob I purchased breeders from Danny Williamson (Good sherpherd ranch). Can send you pictures if you would like. Hatched all summer long from that line of Birds. Some of the best BR in the midwest that's my opinin.

Hello Robert
This is a Barred Plymouth Rock Me & a friend bought a few years ago ???
I know he has a comb that leans more to one side, but over all.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF HIM ???

I have a hen but no pics of her yet.

12005_dsc00035.jpg

Saw you Had Rhode Island Red Bantams,

What like to know what you think of these ???

12005_bantam_chickens_103.jpg

Last edited:
I lost this thread and saw it today. I like your barred rock male good color. The R I Red Bantams are also very nice. Great true to breed color. bob

I hope my boys look like that when they grow up. Right now kinda gagnly looking but starting to get good hackle and tail feathers. Do barred rocks get green sheen on their tails as one of mine is starting to. is this normal or bad breeding?

I'm sure Bob will be along to answer you soon. Are you talking about sheen in the black part of the barring and not solid black feathers with green sheen? That seems to be a point of contention. Should be no solid black feathers, for sure, but the sheen thing has come up numerous times with Delawares. I know that most every one of my BRs has a very slight sheen in the black bars, hens included, when the sun hits it just right. I think it's supposed to be "just short of positive black", but I have never seen a BR with absolutely no sheen in the bars, though I realize that my BRs are utility type, not show type. It's hard to catch on camera, though.

I dont think you have a sheen on the dark color. Just a old fashion grayish black with a nice clean white contrast feather. Watch out for a muddy or coo choo color on barred rocks that means you got produciton rocks and that aint the real Plymouth Rock. Go to the Heritage Page or thread and see some great real mccoy barred rocks. bob

Back
Top Bottom