Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

Since I intend to get BR's who does everyone advise I go to. I'm looking of course for nice looking birds but also very good layers. I don't want "pretty" useless birds. Who would have the best "heritage' Br's.

Scott are those Jamies barred rocks?? Yard FUll of Rocks Scott? I got to go t work and hep out for four hours. I have two days off but they are short. Wil be back latter.

Dont worry out there we will have plenty of sources for you to get Barred Rocks even in New York or Washington or Canada.

There is a good strain of Colubian Rocks in Canada. How do we get them to the west coast section is another thing.

Like the pictures of your Production Rooster. Very Healty looking fellow.

See you latter. bob

scott,
I think I go by Cartersville, (or close to it at least) when we go home to our parents in SC. (Is Cartersville near Rome? I think that sounds famliar) Maybe we could meet up in the Spring sometime.
Thanks,
Robert Norris

So, Bob, what do you think of the blue Rocks? I have a couple of those as well as one black Rock hen. I have Blue Orpingtons, but I actually think I prefer the blue Rocks' size, personality and egglaying prowess over the Orps.

Quote:
what one would that be? there are 3-4 strains in canada, and i think there are at lest 2 here in NS if not more, and another one in QC. i have a line or CR more production, then show but i hope to add a good show rooster to them next year.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31282_woeppelchickensaugust2010008.jpg

I
think if you look at these females resting look at the one on this log and look at her neck feathers. Can you see the ring of feathers or barring? It almost looks like a group of black and white necklaces on her shoulder. I think this is what Mr. Thompson called his Ringlet line.

Now what does that have to do with this picture of the birds photographed?

Frank Reese from Good Sheppard Ranch in Kansas has bred this line for 50 years. He got his start from Ralph Sturgeon from Ohio Fifty years ago. Mr. Sturgeon got his start from Mr. E B Thompson in New York State in the 1920s. These birds have many cartelistic to Mr. Thompson’s old line in my view. I hope this explains to the person who asked me this original question on the Ringlet subject.

David your strain from Tom looks so much like Jamie’s birds because Jamie’s line is half Toms and half Joel Gilman from Virginia. Great looking barred rocks so many good ones this year.

In regards to the Blue Rocks I wish I could see the Pictures again. To be honest I have never seen a blue Rock large fowl before on this site. Heck I did not think they were in the APA standard. All I can say is they are most likely the most difficult color pattern to breed in Rocks. That is why so many give them up and may not be 50 left in the country. On them I have no idea what color should look like. I should be able to look for type on them. I think the big problem has been they do not breed true for many people. Why I don’t know. Thanks for all the great pictures on this thread we have seen chickens that we have never seen before or knew they existed. Bob

Dick Nieuwland Ontraio Canada has the best Columbian Rocks I have seen. We are trying to get his line into the USA. I am on the lap top computer and I dont know if I have a pictrure of this breeder male but when I frist saw him in the breeding pen I thought I saw a large fowl Light Brahma. Hope this helps you also contact Frank Good Fellow our District Director in Canada for his help. Thanks for your interest . bob

All these pictures of the beautiful Barred Rocks really bring back the memories. That was our primary "utility" bird on the farm growing up. My grandparents raised them by the hundreds in central Kansas, predominately from the 50's to the mid 80's. I wonder if Frank Reese would remember them. I know I remember his name from all the way back then.

When I was growing up, I really could not be bothered at all with my grandparent's Plymouth Rocks. They just held no appeal for me whatsoever since they were basically the "workhorses" of our farmyard, both for meat and egg production. I was much more into the more ornamental birds (Silkies, Bantam Cochins, and of course my ducks). As they say, hind sight is 20/20 and I have kicked myself over and over again for letting their line die out. I just never would have thought 20-25 years ago that a bird so well established would fall so far so quickly (not to mention how much my thoughts on the birds would change). Anyway, beautiful birds everyone! Some of them are almost carbon copies of the Barred Rocks I remember from years ago.

Back
Top Bottom