Lathargic chick. Update with pic: All better now!

Chocobo

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
I have two Buff Orpingtons and two Easter Eggers that will be three weeks old tomorrow.
The liveliest one is an Easter Egger who until today has been the most skittish and active.
All day long today she has been "sleeping" standing up while her three sisters run around either with her eyes closed or half closed.
There are moments of short activity but then right back to looking sleepy.
I wasn't worried until just now when I tried to give her some chopped up egg as a treat and she barely ate any and mostly looked at it funny. She normally hates being held but put up no fuss this time.
Vent looks clear and as far as I can tell the crop is fine.
Don't even know if this is an issue or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Easter Egger, three weeks, ?
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
"sleeping" standing up, poor apatite at least when it comes to treats, very low energy.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Started this morning.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Medicated chick starter, plain yogurt, chopped hard boiled egg.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
n/a
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Cardboard box with pine shavings for bedding.

Last edited:
My first thoughts were coccidiosis (http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616). But you are using medicated chick starter, and are keeping them inside, so it would be very hard for her to get an overload of coccidia. If you see her fluffed up, huddled in the corner, and unwilling to eat or drink, it very well could be coccidiosis. Treatment is Corid or Sulmet, whichever you can get easily at your local feed store.

If possible, I would try giving her a little "boost" of either something like Poultry Nutri-Drench or sugar water. It isn't a cure, but it could help her to remain feeling well enough to eat and drink on her own. If she won't take it willingly, just dribble it down the side of her beak, and she will swallow it.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with some more ideas! Best of luck with her, keep us posted!

Quote:
X2. Corrid I heard is better to try first. They still can get cocci even though they have medicated food. I actually keep Sulmet on hand just in case. I couldn't find Corrid at the time.

Good luck. I hope you figure this out and don't lose anyone.

I have been taking them outside once a day anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes. I thought I was helping them by giving them sun and a place to dust bathe.
he.gif

I can't get any proper medicine until tomorrow.
Should I give sugar water to all of them or just the one that is affected?
What concentration of sugar to water should I use?

Don't worry about letting them outside, you can't keep them inside forever, and they have to be exposed to the dirt eventually. Feeding medicated chick starter while putting them outside is a good way to form their immunity against cocci.

I just found a site that recommends using 2 tablespoons sugar per quart of water for day-old chicks. It's up to you if you want to give it to all of them, it won't hurt them. The important thing is to make sure the sick one drinks it.

I've replaced the normal water with sugar water. 2 Tablespoons per quart.
If she still looks the same tomorrow should I get some Corid or Sulmet or wait until symptoms worsen?
Should I get some vitamins for the water regardless of how she looks in the morning?
If she looks all better how long should I keep up the sugar water/vitamins?
Would it be better to maintain their routine and keep taking them outside or hold off for a few days?

I'm sure these are very basic questions but these are my first chickens and want to do everything right.

If she still looks the same tomorrow, I would get the Corid or Sulmet, if you can. It's a good investment if you're raising chicks often anyway, and I think it has a fairly long shelf life.

Again, vitamins, if you are able to get them, are good to have on hand, even if you don't get the chance to use them right away. I know a lot of people like using the Poly Vi Sol supplement (without iron).

If she looks better, I'd do it for at least a few more days. But you are going to have to play it by what you see.

If you are worried about them on the dirt outside, you might just put the healthy ones outside and keep the ill one inside where its warm and comfortable. If she's sick, it probably isn't a good idea to keep her out in the breeze anyway.

Don't worry about the questions, we've all asked them at one time or another!
big_smile.png
I hope this helps.

Got some Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes at the local feed store but she was already looking better this morning.
I will keep them on the vitamins for a few days just in case and report back.

That's great news! Vitamins and electrolytes are a good idea--she should start feeling better soon if her problem is taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom