Remind me why I clean their water dish?

babyrnlc

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Tulsa, Ok
So I spend a bit of time each day cleaning out the water dish. (they have a nipple waterer also)but they like to stand in it and poop in it. So I wash it almost every day. It is beautiful. I could drink out of it. But as soon as I let them out they run to the spot by the faucet that become a mud puddle and drink like it is the best!
hmm.png

Crazy chickens.

Same reason my barncat & horses drink from puddles after I scrub their bowl/buckets.

Because they can.

For my chickens it's a little resin fairy fountain a neighbor gave me.
Set beneath a bush it gets nasty with algae but that is their Magic Water - they shoulder each other aside to get a drink & glare at me when it's empty.

Dang thing only holds about a cup, so I keep a watering can nearby to refill it ASAP.
Mmmmmmmm....the Magic Waterrrrrrrrrr : 9

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

Or leftover scraps from the kitchen, we collect water while washing veggies to water the plants, and regularly find them drinking out of the buckets.

I wish we had a mud puddle. My chickens like to drink from my two drains. One drain thats from the A/C the other from my ice maker.I have bowls under the drains as well so the birds have a place to drink while free ranging.

I found the culprit! At least now I know how the water dish gets so dirty. I sat outside and this little Brabanter was in it EVERY time she got a drink! It wasnt that hot either.

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

Ha my chicks will put all there bedding in there water I just finished cleaning it out. They don't get in it though. I try to pull the bedding away from the waterer but it doesn't work what makes them do that?

Back
Top Bottom