North to Alaska!

Pics

akpeeps

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Hi all!
Any fellow Alaskans out there? We have 12 hens of various breeds. Four RIR's, three Barred Rocks, a Buff Orphington, Golden Comet, Black Australorp, a Black sex link, and a Gold Laced Wyandott.
This will be our first winter with chickens so any advice on how to winter them over and winterize the coop will be greatly appreciated.

Gayle

Welcome from NW AK and I've got...(its in the siggie) plus a few more...I use the deep bedding method and cleaned it completely every Friday night or Saturday last winter until I realized I was throwing all the heat out into the compost pile!
roll.png

So I cleaned out only half once a month but added shredded paper and straw to give the girls (RIR's) a feeling of a cleaned coop which they rewarded me w/the maximum amount of eggs that day, every time!

The 1st 8 RIR hens in their first winter of laying provided 9-12 eggs every day I provided a clean coop. OOps, got two pullets outside the chain link fence, gotta get them back in...

Welcome to the BYC.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Put a heat lamp in the coop that points down to the waterer so it dosn't freeze.
I just moved down here to Alabama from Alaska last year. I lived in Alaska for the last 26 years but I didn't have chickens then.
I lived in Anchorage, Homer, Cordova & Kodiak Island. Man do I miss Alaska and it sure is HOT down here in Bama.

Jayare

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

...and I'm trying to keep it that way! LOL!

The chickens do pretty well in the winter... make sure they have a dry/draft free coop to get out of the elements with plenty of roost space, and a heat lamp on the waterer should keep the coop (depending on how big it is) just above freezing. You don't want the coop to be too warm, because it will actually be hard on the birds. There are actually several threads on winterizing birds if you do a search.
smile.png

Ahh Alaska!

I spent several years there as a clergyman, and miss it terribly!

Didn't have chickens at that time, but stayed with a priest who did.

Get them close to the cows in the barn. Barring that, I'm afraid I have no useful advice other than find other chicken owners and do what they do.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom