North to Alaska!

Quote:
What area would you live in? And what do you do?
smile.png

Hi... I live in Valdez, Alaska. I am hatching runner ducks, and plan to keep a few in my backyard. I have hatched ducks in my classroom, but have given them to other people in this area, and the Kenny Lake area who have ducks.

I have a large shed in my fenced backyard and was going to use part of it for a duck coop I also bought a chain link dog pen to use so they can be outside a bit. I thought I would put a cover on it to keep the Bald Eagles out as they are around town all year long. I have a golden and a border collie, so hopefully they will protect the ducks too.

If any of you other Alaskans have any suggestions for me I would appreciate them. Thanks!

Tia

Quote:
Okay, Alaskans, be honest. What's it like to live in Alaska? My husband wants to move there and live in a cabin and become a hermit or something.

I think it is beautiful here..... I'm not much for the hermit life... I live in a small town... "Valdez" The population is around 4,000. The average temperature in the winter is around 20 degrees F. It doesn't get too cold here. We do get lots and lots of snow... We average over 300 inches... have to do a lot of shoveling... The wind can blow here pretty hard in the winter... gusts up to 100 mph.... so with the wind the chill factor makes it a bit colder.... In the summer our temperatures average in the 60's ..it did get up to 80 the other day, but that is unusual... It has been a great spring and summer with little rain... but last summer was extremely wet. Valdez is on the water.... Valdez Bay opens up into Prince William Sound... In the summer we see a lot of daylight (hard to go to be at night) But in the winter it is pretty dark.....Not nearly as dark as it is farther north though...... We are located in South Central Alaska. The terminus of the 800 mile Trans Alaska Pipeline is here in Valdez....
Check this out....
http://www.valdezalaska.org/
If you have a boat... it is great to go out in the sound and fish for halibut or salmon......We have sea otters, sea lion, seals, humpback whales, Killer Whales... etc....
I have lived here all of my life... besides going to school in Arizona and Florida.... If you are going to live in a small town like this, you have to be able to create your own entertainment... Cross country skiing, snow machining...hatching ducks.... etc.
I could really go on and on... if you have any questions feel free to send me a message.....I love it here... but this is home.

Tia

Tia,
Gorgeous pix of Valdez! Where did you go to school in AZ? I'm in Yuma, AZ, and I guess that's my big issue with Alaska. I'm in Yuma, so, well, it's HOT and there's never snow. I think personally that we would die in Alaska. We'd just freeze up and die, wearing our Yuma clothes.
Are the mosquitoes as bad as they say?

I went to school in Tucson... I think a person adjusts to the weather I remember when I was in Tucson feeling cold when it was 60... then laughing when I thought about it. We do have mosquitoes and gnats which we call "no see ums" they are worse than the mosquitoes. I think British Columbia has us beaten as far as mosquitoes go.

Tia

Back
Top Bottom