North to Alaska!

Quote:
Hi Tia,
I've only been to Valdez once, but I liked it there. With ducks you have to be sure to give them a place where they can go to get completely off the snow and ice in the winter. I seem to remember reading that runner ducks (and I don't know if it was because they were smaller or what) are not as cold hardy as some of the other breeds. We lost several mallards last year due to the cold. We have a large run for them, and a smaller house that we keep covered with shavingings, and only give them enough water to drink. They miss swimming in it in the winter, but bad things happen when they do.
sad.png

Life in Alaska happens at a slower pace than everywhere else unless you happen to be in Anchorage or one of the other larger cities. There are no bill-boards, no metered on-ramps, and only in the larger cities do you ever have to worry about traffic. Or unless someone smacks a moose on the road, and then you're blocked off because there's only one road in and out. LOL! In-ground pools are unheard of, and underground sprinkler systems are non-existent. You share your land with wild animals, even in the city. Moose, bear, eagles... sometimes you have sled-dogs as neighbors.
wink.png
The air is clean, and it's quiet. You can have chickens, and again, unless you're in the big city, no one cares. The mosquitos can be bad, and the white socks/no-see-ums are mean. Things cost a little more up here because everything is shipped in (unless you grow/raise it yourself). The only downside of note is the length of the winters. There was a statistic going around a few years back that 80% of people that move to Alaska move back to the lower 48 after their first winter. You either love it, or you don't. If you live here, you don't dare say "I hate snow", because people will just laugh at you and wonder why you moved here, then!?
lol.png
You have to adjust to LOTS of daylight in the summer, and LOTS of dark/cold in the winter. Your "comfort zone" shifts from 70-80°F to 30-40°F. You don't have to like to fish, but it helps.
smile.png
You have to like to drive, because to really see the state and get from here to there, you have to drive a long way. Or fly. Or sail.

All I can say is that this is God's country, and everyone should have at least a visit on their Bucket List.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks... my shed is pretty good sized, so that will help. If I keep a covered run... with wood chips on the ground...I'm thinking they should be able to get outside a bit. I have a friend who has Khakis and they said they bring them inside to the tub.... now and then. I suppose I could keep a big tub in my heated garage and let them come in for a little swim everyday..... Do you have any trouble with the weasels??? I know we have a few around here.

Tia

Nope, no trouble with weasels... not even sure I've ever seen one here in our yard.
smile.png
Eagles, hawks, bears, and the occasional lynx, but that's it.
We had one duck get in the water and play around, then went and layed down on the ice... later I found her walking around with a huge chunk of ice hanging from her butt. She had frozen to the ground!!!
lol.png
roll.png
If you keep water in the garage for them, just make sure they're dry before you turn them out again.
smile.png
Their feet may be able to withstand a lot of cold, but they're not frostbite-proof, as we found out. We've got 25 ducks, though... no WAY am I bringing them in the bathroom to play, even if hubby would let me...
lau.gif

Hello Fellow chicken ppl in AK... I am living on the North East side of Norton Sound.. East of Nome 96 air miles in a Native Alaskan Village...(lived in Anchorage for 6 years.. hubby is from AK) I have raised chickens all my life it was my first 4-h project when I was 10. However I would love to hear what ya all (I am a texan) do for light, heat and insulation for your coops in winter... I don't want to build the recomended 4x4/bird as this may be to hard to heat in winter. also do your chickens go outside in the winter?? I guess if ptarmagain and other birds survive up here in -50 w/o windchill chickens should be able also... I have all heavies from McMurry they are doing wonderfuly. So glad to find this site. While other ppl have problems with cold the light/cold problem is one I am concerned about ... I intend to put a few SAD lights in the coop. Anyone recomend anything??? Love to hear from you, also I am getting some goats, In Texas we don't keep goats and chickens together because chickens produce worms that kill goats same here??? ( I had 600 hd of boer goats in Tx) Thanks for any advice I already have heated water's coming.
Janet
Elim AK

Glad I found this post. My husband is in AK right now fishing. In 2006 I bought tickets to AK and then informed him he had to come up with the money to go. With baseball bat in hand I convinced him it would be fun. Now he goes every year, with or without me. We're both addicted to AK. I told him to look for property while he's there. I really like the Kenai area. Wasilla is pretty too. Anybody want to buy my place and live outside Yosemite NP so I can move to AK?
I am glad to know I can have my Chickens in AK. I'll have to research my other fav farm critters.

Thanks for the descriptions of Alaska, guys! I probably will never fully understand till I go there. Likewise, nobody can fully understand Yuma in the middle of summer unless you're here. I can't imagine what 30 degrees is like, much less 0 degrees. Have you guys been in 130 degrees in the shade? It's strange that there's such a difference between 100 and 110, and 110 and 120. You'd think hot would be hot. What temperature is it when you stop doing anything and stay huddled in the house?

Hi txn_in_ak
big_smile.png

I'm in Wasilla. We have a 6X8 coop for our girls, and now a few roos. And a duck that thinks she's a chicken. We have to expand.
big_smile.png
We got our chickens last summer so just went through the first winter with them. We didn't insulate it but used the deep litter method with about 6-8 in of shavings and then straw on top of that. I put in a 250W red heat lamp and hung it about 2 1/2-3 ft off the floor. I lowered it a bit when we had those -30/-40 temps for a few weeks. I tried using a white light on a timer for 8 extra hours of light, but the heat lamp was bright enough that it didn't shut off.
hmm.png
I'll try putting it higher this year. The temp in the coop stayed in the upper 20's-low 30's.
Mine didn't set foot outside the coop when it got in the negative temps. They all huddled under the heat lamp inside. The heated bowls are what I would have suggested, good for you. It was so much easier than multiple lamps. I'm putting in a second one this winter. I'm thinking of just insulating the roof and see if that makes a difference this year.
Did you figure out the feed situation yet?

Quote:
Hi Eggs4Sale,

We think just the opposite with the cold temps
big_smile.png
Once it gets to
-30 or so it all feels the same.

I draw the line at -30 or -35. We still get out but just don't stay out as long and have lots of insulation. We have horses too and will ride until it gets to -15ish. I ride bareback in the winter, much warmer.
wink.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

no WAY am I bringing them in the bathroom to play, even if hubby would let me...
lau.gif

Hey! That's an idea....we have a jacuzzi tub we hardly use. Surely my husband wouldn't object to it getting a little more use. I'm sure Puddles would love it. Nice warm water, turn the jets on for some bubbly action, what more could a little duck ask for on a cold winter night?
lau.gif

Quote:
Hey! That's an idea....we have a jacuzzi tub we hardly use. Surely my husband wouldn't object to it getting a little more use. I'm sure Puddles would love it. Nice warm water, turn the jets on for some bubbly action, what more could a little duck ask for on a cold winter night?
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif

I'm sure he would
th.gif
, then
barnie.gif
, then
smack.gif
and I wouldn't want to be responsible for that!! LOL!

Eggs4sale: I grew up in So. Cal, and went to the desert quite often, so yes, I can understand those temps. I don't like them, certainly not since my comfort-zone has been reset to 40°F.
lol.png
Like AKpeeps said, we're the opposite. I know by the way the air feels (and the way my nose freezes) when it's dipped below 0°F, but once you get below -25 or so, it all feels pretty much the same. Unless you add wind. It's hard caring for a lot of birds at -35F. Which is what I did this last winter for 2 weeks straight. I bundled up in one of my hubby's military-issue snow-suits (which I could wear buck-nekkid at -35F and not be cold!) and did the rounds 3 times a day, changing out frozen water bottles for fresh ones. The birds? They could be seen wandering about at -20F... anything below that and they refused to come out of the coop. But I never added any heat. I have a few (and I use that term loosely) extra birds in the coop, and they kept each other warm quite nicely.
smile.png
But, after 2 weeks of -35F, we warmed up to +18°F, and it was time for T-shirts!!
celebrate.gif
Kids play outside at school to -10F. -9.9°F, and they're outside. But they have the gear for it.

Back
Top Bottom