Australia

wiradjuriwoman

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 19, 2008
wink.png
Gday! I'm an Australian living in Western Australia's lower South, just a skip hop and a jump from Albany.
I raise turkeys, guinea fowl, ducks, geese and a fair few hens of different varities,,,My little orange Cochin is a great great great grandmum of many beautiful coloured mixtures...although for some reason most turn out black and majority have crests, she is setting again starting today.
big_smile.png
I also have houdans and sussex as well as polish and a few Isa Browns as well as some or maybe a fair few roosters.
big_smile.png

My turkeys are a sky blue hen a red hen two white hens and four narragsett hens, my gobblers are 2 white and four bronze wing.
hmm.png

My ducks are many breeds, mostly khaki campbells and muscovy with a few of other breeds all 45 of them, almost forgot my pair of call ducks too.
tongue.png

As for my guinea fowl! well they are pied and violets and purples and am still wating and hoping to get it right with the breeding, with 12 to watch out for is so hard, they are so self minded.
roll.png

My geese are Pilgrims with an adopted Pomeranian youngster setting for the first time, I bought the gosling at a local show last year and brought it home with reservations, I no sooner put the little one down and my two geese accepted the baby as theirs straight away.
smile.png

Last edited:
Welcome, we are new to this forum as well.

All of your birds sound very interesting. If you look at my signature you can see our l'lil menagerie.

I have been on for about a lil over a week and have learned alot.

Anyways, Welcome again.
frow.gif

:)Hi everyone I have been on just since tonight my time 7:53PM Sunday night in Western Australia, I think it is great to be able to discuss poultry with people who care about the conversation that takes up most of your time.

Each and every one of us has some experience or knowledge that another wants or needs, some have breeds of poultry that others would like but are unsure of, some just have what we call in oz "mottlies" which means nothing special except to those who own and love them.

I think it is great to belong to a group of distant friends with the same interests.
wink.png

I am a small holding farmer with horses, a calf (Mum had to be destroyed due to Mastitis) two miniature horses, 6 dogs, 3 cats and 120 goats and sheep as well as my poultry, I have raised my five kids who all have their own now and think I am crazy.

Last edited:
G'day. I am an Australian....born and bred in Sydney..but now live in Colorado, USA (and miss home very much).

This is a great place to share chook (and other bird) experiences. I certainly have learnt a ton from the people in here.

So welcome mate!

Gary

Gday mate! it is great to hear from another oz in another land, I came from Cowra but now live in Western Australias south, I am confident we will get to hear from one another again..I dont think I have to tell you where the name comes from then..anyway I am maggie, and pleased to meet you.

I have spent a little time around Bathurst-Orange-Cowra in the past - all work stuff (i am a geologist by training). I was also in Perth in July this year at a conference. I have been to Bumberry and Margaret River but never down and round as far as Albany. One day I hope.

I moved there about 6 years ago from Canberra. I married a wonderful girl from Maine....and bought this small weed patch which we are trying to turn into a nice farm (failing mostly). But its all fun. We are on the high plains....its like 4900 feet here, dry high desert. The soil is just sand (i am used to that from Sydney), and we have had tornados and 4 foot snow falls. Summer is 3 months of 30+C days.....but we have wonderful veiws of the Rocky Mountains.

All that said, we hope to move in a year of so to the east coast of the USA and then a few years later back to Oz.

So are u of the wiradjuri?

Hi...I'm not from Australia, but we visited Sydney and some back country farms in 1995(Hubby earned the trip through work)beautiful country...Although our trip was very full of tours and not much time to relax(11 day tour NZ and Australia) and just hang out it was a lot of fun. A hair dresser in a salon across from our hotel kept up conversation as she was doing my hair for the Opera house because she liked my accent...Must be my southern drawl. My Hubby REALLY liked Manly beach...We went there on our only 2 hour alone time the whole trip...He bought a suit from a shop on the way, and when me another wife was discussing how neat it was an how many topless sunbathers there were, my hubby who was hanging nearby pipes in "There are 12!"...Her and I look at each other and start laughing. Now as women we really didn't notice though until someone said it was a topless beach as there weren't really that many folks there that day...But hubby was VERY alert...
gig.gif
All in all it was fun and my favorite times from the whole trip was when we visited the sheep farms(NZ & Aus) and the Moari(sp?) village(NZ).

Back
Top Bottom