So I decided to build an underground coop: UPDATE pg 33

Oblio13

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 26, 2008
New Hampshire
I've been intrigued by colonial era bank houses and Anasazi pit houses for years, and I figured this was as good an excuse as any to build one. Hopefully an earth-sheltered, sod-roofed coop will be warmer in winter and cooler in summer than our conventional one, and muffle the rooster's crowing for our neighbors. Even though my long-suffering wife is accustomed to my eccentricities, she was mildly appalled when she saw the hole in our yard.

After three days with a pick and shovel, this is what I had accomplished:

IMG_1623.jpg

A neighbor with a little backhoe took pity when he saw the blisters on my tender pink hands and speeded things up:

IMG_1625.jpg

Now I have a ten-foot by twelve-foot hole. There's still a tremendous amount of dirt to move to level and square it, hope I can get it done before the ground freezes.

My tentative plan is too leave the floor dirt, and use pressure-treated 4"x8" timbers to build up the sides, notched log-cabin style to resist the pressure of backfilling. I'll put a gently sloping sod roof over it, and a window in the south-facing door.

Last edited:
Wow, someone's an overachiever....LOL!!! Thanks for the pics, make sure you post more as the coop progresses.....great idea, hope it works out!!!

Interesting idea. Let us know how it turns out. My wife put up with my hole in the ground for the koi pond. hole year 1 was a mud hole lol, year two finished beautifull koi pond.. Now if I can keep the koi killer out of the pond, Imagine a guy in robe with broom in hand trying to scare off oversized Heron!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom