So I decided to build an underground coop: UPDATE pg 33

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Oblio13, Oct 25, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Cool! I thought about building a cordwood masonry chicken coop. May still do it.

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Wow, that's cool!

My friend cross the pond sent me a link to a video just a few moments ago to his rammed earth shed. Maybe you could do something like that for the walls instead of pressure treated wood against the dirt? Goodness knows you have enough dirt now to build dirt walls!

Video

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Loud laugh!

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Awesome idea!

The earth will be wonderful insulation in the winter, but may be a bit warm in the summer. Make sure to plan for some ventilation so that the air inside will circulate.

With the dirt floor, how are you going to protect your flock against predators? Could you line the floor with some sort of fencing material just as a deterrent? How would the floor be cleaned?

I can't wait to see more pictures of the construction! This is a really interesting project.

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:the pred would have to dig WAY down,, then under the walls,, then into the coop,,, i bet there isnt any animal that could do that in a night,, or 6 ,, lol,, and the dirt will also act like an air conditioner,, it will keep it MUCH cooler in the summer.

6. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    What an awesome idea! I hope you keep us updated, with plenty of pics of the different "stages" the construction goes through.

7. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I've pondered a dirt filled tire construction coop.... but you would need plenty of tires!

Dove

8. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Okay, this is the coolest thing I've seen all day. I'm going to have to show this thread to my DH, he'll get a kick out of it!

9. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am subscribed to this thread! I would LOVE to do something like this, but unfortunately we have a high water table here. We couldn't even put in a full basement (just a crawl space).

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    That's awesome! How very green of you [​IMG] I cannot wait to see it finished!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by