Songster
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
8A East Texas
Old-Fashioned Pound Cake

Pan: 10" tube, well-greased and floured
Preheat oven: 325°F
Baking time: 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours

4 c. cake flour, sifted before measuring (1#)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. unsalted butter (1#)
2 c. granulated sugar (1#)
10 whole e-g-g-s (1#)
1 tsp. vanilla extract } or use 2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract }

Sift flour and salt together. Place butter and sugar in mixing bowl. Cream together until light and fluffy. Add whole e-g-g-s, one at a time, beating thoroughly between each addition. If using an electric mixer, do not stop the mixer while adding e-g-g-s. Add half of the sifted flour/salt. Beat about 1 minute. Add remaining flour/salt and the flavorings. Beat about 1 minute. Use a rubber spatula to collect all flour from sides of mixing bowl. Pour into a well-greased and floured tube cake pan. Bake. Remove from pan immediately after removing from oven. Cool on a cake rake.

Serving Note: Great with fruit or ice cream. This cake freezes well.

Note: Short on unsalted butter? Substituted butter-flavored shortening instead.

Note: Instead of using the tube cake pan, use a 9" cheesecake springform pan plus a 9" round cake pan.

Note: If you don't have cake flour you can substitute all-purpose flour. For each 1 cup cake flour needed, use 1 cup minus 2 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour instead.

Last edited:
Sounds YUM!!!!
big_smile.png

I'm going to try it.

rudysmom, glad you liked it. My mother in law got that recipe out of the Westinghouse Betty Furness cookbook (1950's) and it has been a family favorite since. I've been making that cake for 30 years now. I love the golden yellow orange color it gets from my homegrown backyard jewels....
wink.png
-keljonma

Wow, that recipe sounds fantastic!! 10 eggs?...2 cups of butter?...2 cups of sugar? Mmmmmm...is there such a thing as death by pound cake?
big_smile.png

Thanks for sharing! I think I'll try that this weekend!

TJ

Quote:
Yes, for my hubby it is pound cake topped with fresh garden berries, fresh whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
wink.png

regards,
keljonma

if edited, probably for typos...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom