1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old-Fashioned Pound Cake

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by keljonma, Mar 21, 2007.

1. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Old-Fashioned Pound Cake

Pan: 10" tube, well-greased and floured
    Preheat oven: 325°F
    Baking time: 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours

4 c. cake flour, sifted before measuring (1#)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 c. unsalted butter (1#)
    2 c. granulated sugar (1#)
    10 whole e-g-g-s (1#)
    1 tsp. vanilla extract } or use 2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 tsp. almond extract }

Sift flour and salt together. Place butter and sugar in mixing bowl. Cream together until light and fluffy. Add whole e-g-g-s, one at a time, beating thoroughly between each addition. If using an electric mixer, do not stop the mixer while adding e-g-g-s. Add half of the sifted flour/salt. Beat about 1 minute. Add remaining flour/salt and the flavorings. Beat about 1 minute. Use a rubber spatula to collect all flour from sides of mixing bowl. Pour into a well-greased and floured tube cake pan. Bake. Remove from pan immediately after removing from oven. Cool on a cake rake.

Serving Note: Great with fruit or ice cream. This cake freezes well.

Note: Short on unsalted butter? Substituted butter-flavored shortening instead.

Note: Instead of using the tube cake pan, use a 9" cheesecake springform pan plus a 9" round cake pan.

Note: If you don't have cake flour you can substitute all-purpose flour. For each 1 cup cake flour needed, use 1 cup minus 2 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour instead.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds YUM!!!![​IMG]
    I'm going to try it.

3. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Sounds Great!

4. rudysmom

rudysmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2007
    Dexter, MN
    I made this pound cake this weekend. It is easy to make, uses up a ton of eggs and tastes wonderful!

5. keljonma

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    rudysmom, glad you liked it. My mother in law got that recipe out of the Westinghouse Betty Furness cookbook (1950's) and it has been a family favorite since. I've been making that cake for 30 years now. I love the golden yellow orange color it gets from my homegrown backyard jewels.... [​IMG] -keljonma

6. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Sounds wonderful! Gonna try it for Mothers Day with fresh strawberries. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

7. TJ

TJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    Wow, that recipe sounds fantastic!! 10 eggs?...2 cups of butter?...2 cups of sugar? Mmmmmm...is there such a thing as death by pound cake? [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing! I think I'll try that this weekend!

TJ

8. keljonma

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:Yes, for my hubby it is pound cake topped with fresh garden berries, fresh whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup. [​IMG]

regards,
    keljonma

if edited, probably for typos...

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Bumping this post up because it goes great with my homemade custard ice cream!

10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

So glad you bumped this - I can't wait to try it!!!!

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by