A vintage collection

ruth

Life is a Journey
12 Years
Jul 8, 2007
Woodville, MS
There was a thread started asking women whether or not they still wore pantyhose. After 14 pages of posts I think I was the first to say I love to wear stockings or pantyhose and to really dress up like they did in the 1940s and 1950s. I thought it was truly the glamour age. That post got women to talking about vintage clothes and someone asked me to post some pics. Didn't want to highjack that thread so I thought I would start my own.

Who loves to dress vintage? By the way, I started collecting vintage jewelry, went a tad crazy and opened a high-end vintage shop which I had for three years. It was a great and fun hobby and business because I could keep it, wear it, resell it. When it was no longer fun, I closed my shop and found myself buying a farm. Nowadays I dress in farm attire most days but I sort of long for the days when I could dress up like a 1940s movie star and go to work.

I still have all the stuff. I just packed it up with the idea I would post it on my shop's website (I've since shut that down) or would sell it on E-Bay (can't ever find the time.)

With the holidays approaching - wouldn't it be nice to see women dressed in the following:

vintagepink.jpg

vintagegreen.jpg

vintagedresses1.jpg

vintagesheerblack.jpg

vintageshoes.jpg

vintagejewelry2.jpg

vintagejewelry1.jpg

vintagegowns.jpg

vintagegown.jpg

vintagefur.jpg

vintagecoats.jpg

vintageyellowcoat.jpg

I wore a dress my mother left me to go to my Prom.

A beautiful black embroidered dress with a hoop in the skirt - it was really lovely.

I have photos of her wearing the dress on a cruise, and my prom pic with a lovely up-do.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I took them all in my shop. Some were used in my magazine ads.

It was a fun shop. We had a big room in the back with a giant screen t.v. and would show old movies and have ladies functions held there. It was the kind of shop that inspired women to start dressing up again.

Quote:
I'll bet you were beautiful. To me it's always special to wear something that has sentimental value.

One of the reasons I love the vintage clothes is that I picture the woman that wore it so many years ago. The other reason is that they are so well made. 50 and 60 years later the buttons are still sewn on, the zippers still work, the seams are still together. Today I buy a new garment and the buttons pop off before the day is over.

Quote:
The thing with those older shoes - the toes are so dang pointy 9 out of 10 times, squeeze the life out of the feet.

I've never found a nice heel I can walk in all day long without DYING.
gig.gif
Other than Boots, boots seem to let a little room in the toes.

I just don't want to have ugly crooked feet when I get older.
gig.gif

I prefer Edwardian dresses myself. All the froofy-ness of the Victorian era, minus the bustles and corsetry. I had to wear a serious Victorian getup for a play once, and I thought my ribcage was going to collapse. If it had, the bustle would have cushioned my fall, so I guess there's a silver lining, but...

Hate pantyhose though. Stockings, OK, I have some comfy wool blend ones for winter and cotton for summer, but NOT pantyhose. They make me feel not-so-fresh.

I only have occasion to dress up about, hmm, six times per year though. The rest of the year, my workplace and household chores are really not conducive to fancy clothing.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Ruth

what size is that adorable green silk and the center dress in number three?????????

I love love love the fifties and late forties Chanel suits...

HINT: I am a size 4. HINT

Sorry but I'm afraid the green dress sold prior to my closing shop. Those type of dresses were popular for prom dresses. By the way a size 4 or less is perfect for vintage clothing. Women kept their size small and wore girdles. Anyone who wore larger than a size 4 had a hard time finding something to fit in my shop though I was always trying to find larger sizes to stock. However the center dress was a larger size - I think an 8 and I think I may still have it. I may need to get that E-Bay store up and running yet. I paid for it for over a year and never listed a thing. Finally closed it and accepted fact that I'm too busy on my farm now to run an E-Bay vintage store. Plus I know if I ever get started again, I'll go crazy again. I'm already looking at an empty retail store in downtown Woodville.

My philosophy for what went into my shop versus what went into my closet was:

If it fit me and I liked it I kept it. If I couldn't fit in it, and I'm a size 2, I would put it in the shop. It got really hard to give up some things so they could go in the shop because 9 out of 10 vintage dresses fit me.​

Back
Top Bottom