What happens if you cross a black sexlink hen with a RIR rooster?

clarkai

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Somewhere around Lacey
Sorry if this is an annoying question, but I want to know. Would the chicks be sexlinked? Or would they be random colors? I want to know because my RIR "pullet" turned out to be a rooster (which I then had to sell, due to neighbors), and I set the eggs in the incubator because I...well, I like chickens...

Any way, today is hatching day, and so far there have been two light colored chick, and one black colored chick, and I'm curious if that might mean anything. Fifteen more to go, so we'll see, I guess. Thanks for any help!

They will not be sex linked. Over large number 50% will be born yellow and end up similar to RIR, and the other will be born black and end up similar to the Black hens
David

Thank you for replying.
big_smile.png
I tried to figure it out from the genetics by self, but I guess I'm a little fuzzy head there.

I have 2 full grown I will try to get pictures of tomorrow..both look totally different even though they were from the same hatch.We really like the cross..not sex linked but super egg layers..have several more growing up.

I have one hen that is the result of a cross between a black sexlink hen and a RIR rooster. This is what she looks like:

13544_black_x_rir.jpg

(The sun is shining on her breast which makes it appear lighter in the picture than it really is.)

Of course, results will vary.

Quote:
I have a hen(Tootie) just exactly like this one, not as pretty right now, as she is in a full blown molt, but she lays the largest eggs out of all my older Pro. reds and BAs.

catdaddy

P.S. I for got to add her type: she's the result of a RIRed roo X a Barred RockxRIRed cross female, exactly the opposite of BLS. Quiet a combo, huh?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom