Cayenne Pepper - Got it - Now what!

Quote:
I read somewhere that you have to use cayenne pepper for increasing egg-laying purposes.
EDIT: According to the poster, cayenne pepper has a specific chemical in it that's needed.

Last edited:
Quote:
Tones is what Anne bought today too at Sam's Club. I'm going to use it for a week to see what happens.

Keep us posted as to how this works out. Even though I will continue using what I am because it works for what I am using it for, it would be interesting to find the differences and what the actual chemical is that promotes egg laying. I've tried google/ing with no results yet. I've just assumed that they were the same just in different forms, but that's apparently not the case. Very interesting thread.

Hmm..I started giving mine cayene pepper powder about three weeks ago went from no eggs to 6-8 a day for several weeks ..when the powder cayene pepper ran out, I picked up crushed pepper flakes, been using it for a week..yesterday I got no eggs today I got 1....so I'm wondering too..if it must be cayene pepper..????

Yeah it works! Ive been posting this for a while too. I posted my granny's recipe. She just made a pan of corn bread and added 3 tbl sp of cayenne to it. regular cake pan all the same as you would eat. She would feed it to 25-30 hens. Worked every time!

Enjoy and God Bless!

Added: use cayenne powder!

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to chickens, so please forgive silly questions
big_smile.png
So if i'm reading this right you are giving the pepper to induce more egg laying per chicken? Would this shorten their "laying life" meaning, say I have a chicken that would lay for 2 years, but feed her cayenne pepper and she ends up only laying 1 yr. Does that make sense?

-Bobbi

Quote:
I wouldn't think this would shorten a hens laying life to much. A hens best production year is almost always her first production year and then it becomes less over the next few years. Also a hen will ussually die of predidation or some other natural cause before she become non-productive. Although I am wondering if the increased egg production could cause to much calcium loss meaning a shorter life and if a little extra oyster shell along with the pepper could counter act that.

Use yellow corn meal Mix same as on bag and add 3 tbl sp. cayenne pepper powder. or you can use 2 cups self rising corn meal, 1.5 cups butter milk, 2 eggs, 3 tbl sp bacon grease (shortning), 1 tbl sp sugar, 3 tbl sp cayenne pepper powder, bake in cake pan at 425 for 20 min. works on 25-30 hens. This is just to jumpstart late bloomers or to kick in early return from winter reduction in laying. It wont hurt the hens. they don't taste hot as in peppers. They will eat Jalapinios! They dont taste the capsaiscan. However you spell it. LOL It has some kind of chemical that kick starts their reproductive organs. It does not hurt them! You can find the chemical reason on another thread. I saw it a couple days ago. My Granny did this all my life. It always worked!

Good luck and Happy egging! LOL

Added: P.s. we never gave this to regular laying hens per say Just the new or slow laying hens of course we never seperated the hens either. I dont think it had any effect on the normal layers. But im not sure. Just a quick note.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom