My rooster is making a gurgling sound

BarredBuff

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2009
He is making a gurgling sound....I think he is sick. Just a minute ago he was standing with his tail feathers drooping. Then he fell and started dancing almost, then he just sat there. What do you think could be wrong with him? He is 2 and 1/2 years old so could he be just old? Thanks BarredBuff

The only thing I can say try is Tylan or LS-50 , they are respiratory antibiotics. Is his comb red, pale, or dusky?
Put him in a crate and keep him resting.

Well, if my chicken was gurgling, my first thoughts would be aspiration or respiratory infection. Maybe cardiac failure, but if his comb is red, he's not oxygen deprived at this point, but I would still put him on a respiratory antibiotic and in a crate so he rests.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I will catch him when he roosts tonight and put him in the rabbit hutch with some oxytetracycline.

Is he shaking his head a lot? Scratching at his head? If so, that with gurgling could be gapeworm, from what I have read.

Sorry to add a dx to your list as I am nnnnoooooooooooo expert, but if it's a possibility you'd need to act sooner than later...

The WORM OFF form Thomas Labs they are pills, 1 pill per 4 lbs of body weight, I am thinking two pills. But do I put them in his beak or grind them up and put them in his feed or water, he will be seperated from everyone else. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom