is this a pullet or a cockerel?-update!

mudpaw

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
West Point, GA
I think this is a girl, but I was wrong with it's predecessor, so I ask you all
smile.png
Pullet or cockerel? Oh, and it's a speckled sussex, about 20 weeks old. It was mounting one of my smaller hens...so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask
smile.png

(click for full size)

Last edited:
Looks like a pullet.

ETA: Actually on 2nd look, I think it may be a cockeral. Can we have a bigger side profile shot?

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep hearing that SS males and females have pretty big combs, but I don't know myself.
Here's larger shot that may show the head detail more. (click for full-size view)

Last edited:
seriously?!?!? not fair
sad.png
It has rounded tail feathers though, but it also have small long curled feathers at the base. I'm going to lighten that tail photo and upload a larger version....otherwise this will the second SS roo I've had to swap from the same person ! arrrggg...

42093_tail2.jpg

I have S.S..at twenty weeks...u would know it was a rooster.....but the tail feathers are really throwin me off....and if it was mounting..im guessing rooster as well..

hmm...would the body build be different than a hen at this age (I thought SS were supposed to be a slightly heavier breed since they were dual purpose)? It is tall and slender (with loooong legs) and has almost no "egg cushion" on it's back side. I think I am sending it back to the breeder it came from anyhow (It is very aggressive with the older chicks I have right now, the other hens ignore them completely-twice today I've had to go and chase it away from the chicks after it cornered them), and get a more obvious older pullet.

Back
Top Bottom