CRD - Duramycin dosage for chickens?

For the first time since I started raising chickens I'm using this stuff.I just bought some red star pullets and a few have a puffy eye,wheezing,stuff coming from thier nose..just sick looking.DANG! Wish I would have known.Don't forget to feed their eggs back to them..You can't eat them if your giving them meds.I hard boil them and they gobble it up quick.

This stuff didn't work for my birds.I had one die
hit.gif
I went out and bought Tylan 50 and gave them 1/2cc orally once a day for 3 days.Almost all are completly recovered!!

Also DO NOT FEED THEIR EGGS TO THEM !!! CRD is caused by MG, which can be passed by the egg, so you are feeding the virus/ one celled organisium, back to them, possibly reinfecting them. MG lodges itself in the soft tissue of the throat, lungs etc.... it also likes a certain PH level. It is thought that perhaps feeding tomatoes etc.. while and after medication to them , changing the chickens PH, may help them get over it better..... worth a shot. Also there are some other meds out there that I can not discuss, as like Tylan and LA200 are only approved for swine, cattle and not chickens in the US, but are used in other countries with great results with MG. Do some research.......
wink.png

I called Durvet, directly, for small dosage instructions. 1 tablespoon per gallon of water, made fresh daily. So, doing the math, that's 3/4 of a teaspoon per quart.
smile.png

Enjoy your day!

The last post from ToniLee is exactly correct and some of the other posts had incorrect information. I'm a pharmacist and I just calculated it out, (after I measured the exact amount of powder in one package of Duramycin-10, 6.5oz, just to make sure.)

One package has 13 tbsp in it and you need roughly (rounding up for simplicity reasons) 1 tablespoon of Duramycin-10 per gallon of water. That breaks down to 3/4 teaspoon per quart of drinking water. The solution is stable for only 24 hours and new solution must be mixed up every day. Treatment is NOT for 3 days (as posted earlier in this thread) but rather for a minimum of 7 days or you will get resistance.

And trust me, you do NOT want to develop resistance to this antibiotic or you will have to move to Tylan, which is much more expensive and harder to obtain. It's all to easy to get resistance to CRD in large flocks (50+ birds), as they keep spreading it from one to another. So just as soon as you get done isolating and treating some of your chickens and think you have it erradicated, you lose another chicken to it. Pretty soon, the drug doesn't seem to be working and voila, you have a resistant strain of CRD to that antibiotic. (I just had that happen, and with Tylan of all things.) Don't let it happen to you or your losses could be very high.

So in summary...

1 package of Duramycin-10 (tetracycline HCl) = 6.5 oz

1 package = 13 tablespoons

800mg/gal dosage: 1 tbsp per gallon

800mg/gal dosage: 3/4 tsp per gallon

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom