Wry Neck!!! HELP

Quote:
Thank you so much for posting this great information. I know now in the future to give the full poly-vi-sol w/o iron treatment rather than just what's in the water... no wonder it took her a week and a half or two to get better!

See, this is why I love BYC.
love.gif

My week old black Jersey chick, who I found with wry neck this morning, is not doing so well with this ailment. She will only drink if I use a syringe and she will not attempt to eat. She is lethargic and only sleeps; is not active at all.
I am pretty much resigned to the fact that she is not going to make it.
sad.png

My little baby isn't doing well either. I just keep trying to get some fluids in as much as I can. She won't eat now either because her eyes are closed and only opens them when she flips her neck. I feel your pain.
sad.png
This is my special silkie too. A mystery color. I don't know if its a boy or girl and may never know. I keep watch over my other babies hoping that this horrible illness doesn't take any more. I still hold out hope that I will wake up tomorrow and he/she will be all better.
hmm.png

i have an adult polish with wry neck...could i fix this? i got it back in aug when i got my frizzles and didnt think it was cureable...could the vitamins fix it??? it is supposed to be a roo but he has never crowed and i got 2 funny shaped white eggs this week, i have cochins so no white eggs for me until this week lol

could he/she be fixed? it is doing fine with its condition but id like to fix it if i can.

if it helps his name is crook lol

Well, she is getting a bit better. Her head isn't flopping to the side as much, in fact, hardly at all unless she gets upset over something, which is usually when I put her back in her box. She has this delusion I am "mommy".
She is eating a little although not as much as I would like for her to, but she is getting stronger. Right now she is peeping up a storm in the spare bathroom where I treat her.
So, hoping this is a good sign.

Hi. I just wanted to add my 2 cents... I treated a white silkie chick with wry neck. I gave her poly drops 3 or 4 times a day straight. I held her head up and a little back, gently opened her beak and then dripped a drop of poly in her mouth. Carefully and only one drop at a time so as not to drown her. Drip it off your finger. I also put it in her water and mixed it in her chick feed. I also added wheat germ to her feed because it is a healthy natural source of vitamin E. I mixed a little of that into all the chicks food. My silkie girl recovered after about 5 days. Good luck to you. My girl is now 9 months old and doing well.

I had a 12-13 wk old Ginger Red Silkie that went thru wry neck back in January and I was advised to follow Alan Stanfords treatment it was for an adult but I reduced the amount to adjust for his age. He was 95% better after the 3 wk treatment, and is now living with Buff Silkie hens on a friends farm. She's trying to breed his color into her hens. Don't give up on your babies they can be treated nearly back to 100%.

Here's the treatment if you want to try it:

Prednisone was suggested as symptomatic relief. Vitamin E and B complex are both good for neurological disorders. Selenium helps absorb vitamin E.

Here's what I do for affected birds. If started before symptoms get severe, the bird will totally recover. To give vitamin E - just cut the end off a human capsule and squirt it in the bird's mouth.
It is important to be sure the bird gets enough to eat and drink while it has this problem. Birds with severe cases of crookneck can't eat and drink enough to survive. You will need to gently place their head in the feed dish and carefully dip just the tip of the beak in water. Be careful not to dip too far into the water and to not stress the bird while trying to help.

The following is for an adult about 2 pound bird. Scale back for smaller birds.

For the first week I give
*Twice a day
2.5 mg of prednisone (5 drops for a 12 wk old bird)
400 IU of vitamin E
*Once a day
A piece of human vitamin B complex pill or a squirt of human liquid vitamins
Selenium (50 micrograms/day for half size juvenile for 3 days)

For the second week I give
*Once a day
2.5 mg of prednisone (or 2 drops morning, 3 drops evenings)
400 IU of vitamin E- ½- morning, ½-evening
*Every other day

For the following week I give
*Once a day
2.5 mg of prednisone (reduce every 2 days until the end of week)
400 IU of vitamin E- ½- morning, ½-evening
*Every third day

Do not abruptly stop prednisone, the swelling rebounds, decrease dose gradually.
Vitamin E recovery can be slow; continue the vitamin E for several weeks at least.
You can get the prednisone from a vet; just describe the problem of swelling in the brain probably due to injury. Yes Silkies' brains do stick out through a hole on the top of the skull.

You can get the vitamin E, selenium, and vitamin B complex or liquid vitamins at any pharmacy.

I also bought Avia Charger 2000 from McMurrey it has minerals and vitamins that's is put in their water.

I purchased some Nutri-Drench from our local feed store and already my baby is taking in more fluid. I was thinking things were going down hill yesterday but, even though there is no change in her neck, I am glad that she is taking in more fluids.

Back
Top Bottom