What are you canning now?

Quote:
I am not 100% positive but I have heard it is not wise to can squash. Something about no approved safe method. I froze all of mine except for what I made into pickles.

Thanks,

I pressure canned it so I will have to see what happens.

Well, I got some Elderberry jelly done today.
smile.png
Now I want to eat it!!!
smile.png

018.JPG

Farmer Kitty--your blueberry/rhubard jam is the most awesome color! would you be willing to share your recipe?

So far I've put up many many tomatoes, salsa, plum jam, mock strawberry-fig jam & blackberry jam. and pickles.

Waiting on muscadines & grapes to get ripe to put up jelly.

Some tomatoes I froze whole in gallon ziplocs until I can get time to either can them or dehydrate them. Same with kadota figs. I work full time so can't always get to them during the week.

I do :

RAW PACK:
separate poultry at joints, bones on or remove

HOT PACK:
BOIL, STEAM OR BAKE UNTIL ABOUT 2/3 DONE separate at joints, bones on or remove

1. Pack poultry into hot jars 1 inch headspace, ladel hot water or broth, (I prefer using the hot pack method and reserve the water I used to boil the chicken) Remove air bubbles.

2. Wipe rims with vinegar to remove any fat on the rim

3. Center lid on ar/apply screw band until fingertip tight

4. Place jars in PRESSURE CANNER Vent steam for 10 minutes process for 75 minutes I use 10lbs. of pressure

Sometimes I also add salt/whole peppercorns for flavor

This meat is great because you can use it for chicken al a king recipes and chicken n biscuits

Quote:
I'm new to canning -what's the recipe?And I didn't know you can jar up chicken..Cool
cool.png

Please Help me,
Cat

I use the recipe in the Ball Blue Book.

Mainly though, I cut the chicken up in pieces, or you can also cut them in strips. I cook the meat until the outside pick is gone and the broth is hot. Then I fill the hot jars to the neck with chicken and broth. Then I process the quarts at 10 lbs. for 1 1/2 hours.

Its very simple, but I also can the broth afterwards, cause I can't stand the stuff in the store, and with that I fill the jars and process the pints of broth for 10 minutes at 10 lbs. pressure.

Hope this tid bit helps. Happy canning
smile.png

Today was peaches and plums (so far). We have here to can NOW, like rushing not to have it spoil:

Corn (almost 100lbs)
Peppers (2peck green, 2 peck purple and yellow)
Jalapenos (bushel)
Runner beans (bushel)
blueberries
Tomatillos
Tomatoes

We are still dehydrating squash and herbs.

Quote:
How do you process your grapes for jelly?
I cooked mine like I do blue & blackberries. Now I read that you aren't supposed to let grapes boil? Why?

"How do you process your grapes for jelly?
I cooked mine like I do blue & blackberries. Now I read that you aren't supposed to let grapes boil? Why?"

Really? I always just followed the directions inside the sure-jell box.

I'm at work right now so don't have the exact directions right in front of me, but basically I crush them & add a cup of water & bring them to a boil, then simmer 10 minutes, then put them in cheesecloth & hang them over my big kettle overnight to drip, then process the juice the next day. And of course, you bring them to a boil when you do the sugar & pectin bit--a hard, rolling boil for one minute after you add the sugar. So, yes, I boil mine, but only for the length of time it calls for in the sure-jell recipe.

Quote:
5 cups Rhubarb-cut fine
3 cups sugar (I have used sugar subsitute)
4 ounce package of jello (can use sugar free)

1. Stir together Rhubarb and sugar and leave in fridge overnight.
2. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes
3. Add 1 package (4 oz) of jello-any flavor
4. Stir until dissolved.
5. Put in jars and process (either water bath or inversion) or freeze down.

The sugar free version doesn't always set right.

Water bath-bring to boil and process for 10 min.
Inversion-Put upside down for 20 min. and then turn right side up.

Back
Top Bottom