“85%-90%”

Strong Bad

Songster
Feb 11, 2023
New Jersey
Two-part question here. How many of you out there have purchased 85%-90% sexed pullets to actually be cockerels?

And at what age did you have your suspicions and when were your suspicions confirmed?

I haven't order chicks in a long time but when they said pullets with a 90% guarantee they were always right.
IMO most hatcheries still get it right. Now if you're buying pullets from TSC that's a whole different story.
Does depend on the breed but the go to answer here is 6 to 8 weeks.

Agree with Moondude.... I stay with Privett because of the track record with me. And I can tell that they don't really carry breeds that they're not good at predicting. Anyhow, I'm at 100%. Hate to jinx it but my confidence level is pretty high. I'm almost kind of bummed that I get no surprises cause I have back up plans.

Two-part question here. How many of you out there have purchased 85%-90% sexed pullets to actually be cockerels?
The answer to that question highly depends on where you are buying the chicks from. Hatcheries tend to get their chick's sex right with the exception of Hoover's Hatchery, which is where Tractor Supply gets their chicks from. I have learned that typically in every "sexed pullet" bin at Tractor Supply, there will be at least one cockerel there, if not a few more.

And at what age did you have your suspicions and when were your suspicions confirmed?
To the trained eye, sexing chickens is easy. The average person can sex their chicks at six weeks, which is when they begin to lose their down feathers and replace those with normal plumage, making them look scraggly. During this time, you can see whether their feathers are pointed like a cockerel's or rounded like a pullet's. Sometimes, though, sexing chicks can come far earlier than that. My Cochin Bantam cockerel had large reddening comb and wattles, and he started crowing at about three weeks old. I have heard cockerels begin crowing as early as two weeks old, though that is rare.

with the exception of Hoover's Hatchery, which is where Tractor Supply gets their chicks from. I have learned that typically in every "sexed pullet" bin at Tractor Supply, there will be at least one cockerel there, if not a few more.
I was starting to believe their "pullet" bins were really straight run bins.
With how often they get the sex and/or the breeds wrong it amazes me that anyone still buys chicks there.

I was starting to believe their "pullet" bins were really straight run bins.
With how often they get the sex and/or the breeds wrong it amazes me that anyone still buys chicks there.
It really does seem like that, and the lack of employee knowledge is incredibly widespread. A year ago when I was getting four bantam chicks, we asked a worker there what breed they were (even though I could already spot out multiple breeds myself). They said they were bantams. We told them that bantam is not a breed, it is a size class. Then they said that the breed must be Unsexed or Straight Run since the sign says so. 🤦‍♀️

I went with Cackle Hatchery. Maybe the two girls in question are just bossy girls? I'll just have to wait and see how their combs come in. They are only 2 weeks old. Need to be patient🙃

Our local feed stores order from Cackle Hatchery and if picked out of the pullet bin i have had all 10 of mine bought from there be pullets.
Now a relative got 4 pullets but she did end up with a EE cockerel. Im thinking she grabbed from the straight run bin.

Now TSC on the other hand ive heard and seen so many people get cockerels out of pullet bins

Back
Top Bottom