“Share Helpful Backyard Poultry TIPS” a Random Posting CONTEST Thread ~ Hosts, Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sally Sunshine, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Brittsplace

Brittsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2015
    I process my own birds too. and thanks for the tip. we do ours outside so it's always hard to tell what temp the water is at so the hand thing will work well.

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I do this. :) I have a chicken envelope, that I go straight to with the money after selling eggs. If I have sold a few chicks, or a hen, I usually put some in there too..but spend it on other things too. :)

3. shahtir101

shahtir101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    @Cynthia12
    I do something similar. I set aside money for let's say 2 months of chicken feed/ related stuff I might need. As I sell more chicks/eggs/birds I end up adding money and not having to put as much in the envelope each time

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I should probably do this..[​IMG] I have had some left over from selling eggs before. Especially in the summer when they eat less. Love when I am not buying chicken food so often in the summer because they are happy free ranging.

I saw that someone mixed fruit in a mixer with ice. Anyone ever freeze a banana..or apple? I have heard a lot do grapes. Try freezing a banana! They love it! Cut in small pieces, they actually eat it slower, so less than if you throw out big pieces of the banana.

5. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama

Your welcome. [​IMG] I've got some great pictures of easily removing crop/head and tail/vent/guts in easy steps without much mess. If your interested pm me and I'll let you see along with how I did it.

6. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    I've gotta read this whole thread. Y'all have some brilliant ideas. Thanks to all.

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    TIPS KEEP CHICKS SEPARATE IN THE HATCHER post #44668

Quote:ChickenCanoe
    Paddler look at this one on google search! bet could bend wire do the same basic thing with a cheap one huh? @ChickenCanoe

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  9. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    I haven't had a chance to read this whole thread, so I"m not sure if this has been suggested.

We stop in the local grocery stores and go to the produce section. We ask for any of the scrap produce they have, to feed our chickens. They gave us a box of red lettuce the other day (probably 20 heads), they have given us bell peppers, apples, peaches, broccoli, tomatoes etc. It's whatever they have on hand at the time you go. They now save stuff for us.

When you are looking for treats for them, you can't beat free!!

10. deserteggs22

deserteggs22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2015
    Arizona
    Here's my helpful tip:
    For my nesting boxes, I use these little red tubs as the actual "box" for easy cleaning.
    [​IMG]
    So say you have a broken egg or a hen pooped in the box, you can just take it out (make sure to get the eggs out first)
    [​IMG]
    Empty it
    [​IMG]
    Refill with your choice of bedding
    [​IMG]
    Then put back in the frame so that your hen's have a clean and comfy place to lay their eggs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And, if it gets really messy, you can just rinse it out with water.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    4 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by