“Share Helpful Backyard Poultry TIPS” a Random Posting CONTEST Thread ~ Hosts, Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sally Sunshine, Mar 8, 2016.

1. country lovin

country lovin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2015
    Rockford Washington
    Here are some mini feeders I made for the brooders.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    New tubing set up for filling the water tray without opening the bator door.

Got a bunch of super useful medical supplies from a closing down vet office of Ebay a few years ago (Literally paid about $30 for several thousands $ worth of stuff).

This is made up of 2 IV extensions with a three way tap. One end will go into the outside resevoir of water, and one into the water tray. Use the 60ml syringe to suck up water from the resevoir and the 3 way tap to direct it into the tray.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    For bottom of brooder - paper towels are ok but slippery - but repurposed towels are great:

You can use worn out towels (or pick them up from a thrift store). Wash them and cut them out into the correct size for the bator. I use several layers. After the hatch toss the top layer ( [​IMG] ) , and wash the lower layers that may be damp. Then reuse the washed towels next time, again tossing the top layer each time. This saves on time, stinkiness, and I am pretty sure $$ as you can get through quite a bit of paper towel!

It also helps with bator clean up as all the real mess gets removed on the towels, including dander.

The other thing I like about this is that these old towels won't usually get used again by humans, so instead of them going to directly to landfill they get a second life and may even become compost!

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh..it was you! Yes, post it again. I used a Boston Baked Bean can. And for the light bulb, it's one of those florescent bulbs. :) I just candled some EE eggs..and there are some darker blues and greens in there. I could see in them real well towards the bottom of the egg. I love that silly candler.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I use the kitchen liner like many do. Some say they throw them in the wash. I personally throw them out when done. I get them at the dollar store.
    I am covering the whole bator this time, and will use more sponges..makes up for an easy clean up.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. shahtir101

shahtir101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    Here is my first tip:
    Use your birds to your advantage. Many people keep collecting birds and the feed bill grows. Try to sell eggs/birds/chicks and make the birds pay for themselves.

7. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama
    I feel your pain. My knuckle headed dog got loose this morning and pushed the run open. All but 1 hen was found. I just heard it squall from next door. I watch the dog grab her through a hole in the fence.

8. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama
    I'm not sure how all you chicken lovers feel about processing chickens for meat birds but I do. I have found many tricks to making it easier. I'll share the feathering trick. Heat a pot of water (just big enough to dunk the whole bird in) to about 130 degrees. Not boiling. Just very hot but you can still put your hand in without scalding. Take your bird (after you kill it please [​IMG]) and dip it into the water for about a minute. Swish it around and than you should be able to pluck that bird very easily. Even those pesky wing feathers come right out with just a little pressure for the quill feathers.

9. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Thank you bubbles and everyone else. You're already helping newbies like me.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by