“Well ventilated” vs. drafty

Agrees!! (soffit and eaves same thing, I think)

Course MO and CAN are very different climates....tho might depend on where in CAN.
Understood. But -19F is still pretty darn cold. Add to that 12 months of high humidity and up into the hundred and teens and it can be a sucky climate for poultry.

Isn't soffit the part that's parallel to the roof slant, directly on the underside? Under eaves to me would be the very top of the wall that's still covered by the roof overhang.

My overhang is actually pretty small (smaller than I'd recommend in most cases) so my roof line venting is under the eaves as we don't really have much soffit space to speak of.
Soffit is what we are usually talking about...I have been mis-using the term 'eave'.
This makes the most sense to me:
http://evstudio.com/this-or-that-2-soffit-vs-eave/

You get sustained ~-20°F air temps?
The heat you endure is a whole other story.
Not sustained. I imagine you do. Fresh air is still key.
I imagine if I lived somewhere like that I'd install a heated ventilation system where I could constantly bring in fresh air yet raise the temperature of it just a bit. Either that or I'd switch my hobby to raising bison.
I've actually considered that heated forced air system here for a rooster coop. The hens don't have a problem but those huge combs take a beating.

Last edited:
Wonder if I should call my vents "top of the wall area under the roof" then? :) The shed builder called them under eave.
:lol: Yes, if they are in the wall itself...
....'under eave' is accurate too...because technically they are lower than the eave.

Not sustained. I imagine you do.
No, not sustained that low...some places in CAN stay that low for weeks on end.

Either that or I'd switch my hobby to raising bison.
:gig

@aart I've had the same questions regarding ventilation. I know I'm not doing something right because the first winter we had some frostbitten combs. Last winter was better, but I still don't think I'm getting it right. Would you be willing to take a look at my coop, (I'm pretty sure you can see the photos from my profile page or whatever it's called.) The windows are at the level of the chickens' heads. Other than the door and cracks along the top, bottom and edges of the rear doors, there is no other ventilation. The roosts are about a foot away from the wall but I'm not sure their heads are low enough below the roof. Thanks in advance.

@aart I've had the same questions regarding ventilation. I know I'm not doing something right because the first winter we had some frostbitten combs. Last winter was better, but I still don't think I'm getting it right. Would you be willing to take a look at my coop, (I'm pretty sure you can see the photos from my profile page or whatever it's called.) The windows are at the level of the chickens' heads. Other than the door and cracks along the top, bottom and edges of the rear doors, there is no other ventilation. The roosts are about a foot away from the wall but I'm not sure their heads are low enough below the roof. Thanks in advance.
Best to start a new thread with lots of pics showing ventilation in your coop.
You can then tag folks you'd like to have a look.
@ChickenCanoe might be the best adviser as his climate is close to yours.
Good ventilation does not eliminate any chance of frostbite, it just reduces the chance.
I get some every year here even tho I have pretty good ventilation it is so humid I've about given up and just accepted it.

I have the whole soffit area open right now..the walls are all double plywood and insulated by foam. At a loss as to how to finish but still vent

Attachments

• 81E29C78-35F4-4C2C-923E-0C1931CD1A19.jpeg
    81E29C78-35F4-4C2C-923E-0C1931CD1A19.jpeg
    660.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom