♥ ♥ ♥ Show Off Your Call Ducks ♥ ♥ ♥

Tequila and Brandy on their “throne”. It’s hard to capture just how high they have piled up their nest. It’s probably 4-5” deep in the center. I removed a bunch of eggs, but they probably still have 10 or so. Tequila sits all the time, and all night, but Brandy joins her part of the day. I hope she isn’t just adding more eggs every day! Lol
View attachment 1653799 View attachment 1653800
Too cute! Before long they are going to look like that new breed . . . the periscope duck :gig

HELP!!! My little call hen is broody... its the middle of winter! Shes sitting on 3 eggs... two look very very early in development. Should i take them?? I dont want ducklings in my house for the next few months though! Would she be able to successfully raise them in the middle of winter? I know call ducklings can be so delicate. Ughh what to do!

HELP!!! My little call hen is broody... its the middle of winter! Shes sitting on 3 eggs... two look very very early in development. Should i take them?? I dont want ducklings in my house for the next few months though! Would she be able to successfully raise them in the middle of winter? I know call ducklings can be so delicate. Ughh what to do!

I have one on a pile of eggs, due next week! They can handle a few and keep them warm, as long as they have a place out of the wind, is my feeling on it.
If yours are early on, hopefully the weather will be better next month anyway. Up to you though!

Nevermind, theyre very early on, like a day or 2, i think im just going to let them get cold :( ill let her sit in the spring. Shes such a good mom

I have one on a pile of eggs, due next week! They can handle a few and keep them warm, as long as they have a place out of the wind, is my feeling on it.
If yours are early on, hopefully the weather will be better next month anyway. Up to you though!

You think she’ll be able to keep them warm enough? Even when it snows? Theyre out of the direct weather but i cant imagine little ducklings surviving outside in the pen

You think she’ll be able to keep them warm enough? Even when it snows? Theyre out of the direct weather but i cant imagine little ducklings surviving outside in the pen

Last March/April, I had one sitting and a couple days after 13 hatched, we got snow. She had already brought them out of the house they hatched in. I won’t lie, a couple died within a week, probably due to the cold, but she had hatched 13! One died that got stuck in chicken wire and couldn’t get out. But overall, she did a good job at keeping most of them until it warmed back up.

But I also wouldn’t blame you if you take the eggs and let her sit later. She’ll go broody again :D

Or you could incubate them, and let her sit on some too, then swap incubated ones for hers, right before hatch time, if she stays and if it’s warmed up by then. :confused:

Last March/April, I had one sitting and a couple days after 13 hatched, we got snow. She had already brought them out of the house they hatched in. I won’t lie, a couple died within a week, probably due to the cold, but she had hatched 13! One died that got stuck in chicken wire and couldn’t get out. But overall, she did a good job at keeping most of them until it warmed back up.

But I also wouldn’t blame you if you take the eggs and let her sit later. She’ll go broody again :D

Or you could incubate them, and let her sit on some too, then swap incubated ones for hers, right before hatch time, if she stays and if it’s warmed up by then. :confused:

I moved her and her mate into a separate hutch from the chickens they were with. If she sits, we’ll see what happens I can always put a heat lamp in there and really insulate it well. It’s only three eggs so it shouldn’t be a big deal. I won’t let her hatch more than five

Back
Top Bottom