❗INJURED CHICK HELP❗

Michelle_101

Hatching
Jul 6, 2020
Hi I have a chick that got hurt trying to go under a fence and it started to bleed and I cleaned it up with baby shampoo then with hydrogen peroxide. I don't know if it's her skin or meat I can see. I put her in a separate area but I don't know how to tell when it's healed or ready to go with the other chicks. Please let me known

This happened yesterday

Female

Attachments

• 20200705_165155.jpg
    20200705_165155.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200705_165159.jpg
    20200705_165159.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200705_165256.jpg
    20200705_165256.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 21
That looks like a degloving injury. Those CAN heal but need some extra care and take a long time.

So you have cleaned it up. :thumbsup
Looks like you have her separate and on non pokey bedding. Also good.

Next will be neosporin or equivalent non name brand triple antibiotic ointment. Apply liberally and often. Keep that wound moist with it is the key. You don't want it drying out.

I will tag a couple of folks that can help with how often and with what to cleanse it.

@azygous @Wyorp Rock can either of you take a look and advise regarding care please?

Okay thank you we put some antibiotic powder on her and we just bought her this cream

Attachments

• 20200706_185042.jpg
    20200706_185042.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Message_1594085802815.jpg
    Message_1594085802815.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200706_185158.jpg
    20200706_185158.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 15
Okay thank you we put some antibiotic powder on her and we just bought her this cream

Use the cream. No powder. That wound must stay moist in order to heal. Clean it gently once or twice a day then apply more cream.

Oh and don't use peroxide. It actually kills off cells in its disinfection and can slow healing. Using it for the initial disinfection is ok.....you just don't want that for every day.

@casportpony @Eggcessive would you happen to be online? I forgot what a degloving wound should be cleaned with.

The Peroxide should be fine for the one time initial cleaning. After that I would apply triple antibiotic ointment - what the OP has is fine (I use that too!)
For daily cleaning of the wound, you can use saline, chlorhexidine (Hibiclens), betadine or vetericyn.

Keep the wound moist with your ointment. The wound will eventually scab over. Likely new skin will grow and she may feather out. I've had a bird that had her skin ripped of (2 different times :() and she eventually feathered out both times. Your girl is young, so I suspect she'll do the same, it will just take some time.

I would watch the wound for signs of infection - pus and odor. See that she's drinking and eating. I usually give an injured bird a direct dose of poultry vitamins as a boost for a couple of days as well.

Keep her relatively warm and where flies can't get on the wound.

Okay thank you so much I just put the ointment. Hope she gets better soon. By any chance do you guys know how her wound should look when healed

Okay thank you so much I just put the ointment. Hope she gets better soon. By any chance do you guys know how her wound should look when healed

See this 👇

The wound will eventually scab over. Likely new skin will grow and she may feather out. I've had a bird that had her skin ripped of (2 different times :() and she eventually feathered out both times. Your girl is young, so I suspect she'll do the same, it will just take some time.

These injuries take WEEKS to heal enough to be back with the group. Likely it will take at least 6 weeks.

Be patient and be consistent in the treatment is my best advice for aiding the healing.

Now would he a great time to check all the fencing to.make sure no one else tries that maneuver.

The only thing you should use to clean the wound is warm soapy water with a good rinse or normal saline. Antibacterial cleaners and antiseptics kill the natural flora on the skin. Which in turn causes a greater risk of infection. Hibiclense and betedine are used on uninjured skin in an area where there will be an opening made or foreign body introduced. I.E. incision, catheter or injection. This prevents external flora from entering the body. They are also very drying and irritating.

Back
Top Bottom