➡ POULTRY FEED COMPARISION CHART (Feed brand NAMES needed)

What brand do you feed your flock?

• Purina

• Nutrena

• M-G

• Scratch and Peck

• Manna Pro

• Kalmbach

• Nature's Best

• DuMOR

• Producer's Pride

• Other - Please list the brand name in a comment below.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pics
That is a very good point. In my case though I have a specific question I have been struggling with that I think this chart will help with. I need to decide on an all flock type feed, (because I am adding two very young pullets and a cockerel to my flock) and I haven't been able to decide whether to buy feed from my local mill or switch to a bigger national brand. I like supporting the local mill (and getting very fresh feed) but they have a very limited range of options. So I will see what exactly my TSC carries and then use this chart to make comparisons between some big brand all-flock feeds and my local mill's "pullet start and grow" and "game bird" feeds. If the national brands prove to be very similar in composition to my local feed I will stick with the local stuff that I know is fresh and supports my local economy. If TSC has something that seems genuinely better though I will consider making the drive out there for food.
Is you local mills feeds on my sheet?
I can tell you with confidence that most starter/grower feeds are extremely close to that same brand names all flock type feed.

Is you local mills feeds on my sheet?
I can tell you with confidence that most starter/grower feeds are extremely close to that same brand names all flock type feed.
Yep! Oñate feed.
And that is one thing I have learned from this project of yours: feed names are confusing and inconsistent. I thought Oñate did not make an all flock feed. But I now realize that their "pullet start-n-grow" and also some of their "game bird" feeds are basically what other brands call all-flock. I am learning! :yesss:
ETA but I am still going to compare them to a few national brands to see if I can spot any differences, and decide which option is best.

That is a very good point. In my case though I have a specific question I have been struggling with that I think this chart will help with. I need to decide on an all flock type feed, (because I am adding two very young pullets and a cockerel to my flock) and I haven't been able to decide whether to buy feed from my local mill or switch to a bigger national brand. I like supporting the local mill (and getting very fresh feed) but they have a very limited range of options. So I will see what exactly my TSC carries and then use this chart to make comparisons between some big brand all-flock feeds and my local mill's "pullet start and grow" and "game bird" feeds. If the national brands prove to be very similar in composition to my local feed I will stick with the local stuff that I know is fresh and supports my local economy. If TSC has something that seems genuinely better though I will consider making the drive out there for food.
Fresh is great. Does your local mill have the means to assay the nutrients?
As a general rule, not only is high calcium bad for roosters, they actually do better on much lower protein. (13-15%)
That's why I buy gamebird maintenance feed (12.5%) occasionally for roosters.
You can cut a rooster's protein with scratch grains in a hanging feeder the hen's can't reach.

Yep! Oñate feed.
And that is one thing I have learned from this project of yours: feed names are confusing and inconsistent. I thought Oñate did not make an all flock feed. But I now realize that their "pullet start-n-grow" and also some of their "game bird" feeds are basically what other brands call all-flock. I am learning! :yesss:
ETA but I am still going to compare them to a few national brands to see if I can spot any differences, and decide which option is best.
Did you know there is feed sold specifically for roosters!?!?!

I should have said that there are some feed companies that produce a feed specifically for roosters only.

Last edited:
Yep! Oñate feed.
Hence the reason everyone should always read the guaranteed analysis tag and not trust what the feed store employee tells you. Recently Nutrena changed the bag design, weight and formula on one of their lines of feed. The employee said the nutrition was the same. It wasn't. It went from 18% protein to 20%.
Reading the tag is also essential for knowing the mill date. I've found feed at some stores that was well over a year old.

Fresh is great. Does your local mill have the means to assay the nutrients?
As a general rule, not only is high calcium bad for roosters, they actually do better on much lower protein. (13-15%)
That's why I buy gamebird maintenance feed (12.5%) occasionally for roosters.
You can cut a rooster's protein with scratch grains in a hanging feeder the hen's can't reach.

Did you know there is feed sold specifically for roosters!?!?!

I should have said that there are some feed companies that produce a feed specifically for roosters only.

Hence the reason everyone should always read the guaranteed analysis tag and not trust what the feed store employee tells you. Recently Nutrena changed the bag design, weight and formula on one of their lines of feed. The employee said the nutrition was the same. It wasn't. It went from 18% protein to 20%.
Reading the tag is also essential for knowing the mill date. I've found feed at some stores that was well over a year old.

I am learning so much! :celebrate I didn't know roosters did better on lower protein :eek: Hmmmm that means I will probably go with a 16% protein feed for the flock rather 18 or 20%. And the local feed mill does make a "game bird base feed" that is 13% protein. I could look into giving the little guy some of that as well. Lol if he gets extra scratch my bratty hens will riot!
Still need to do some more reading and comparing but looks like I might be sticking with the locally manufactured stuff :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom