➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

I've found that he younger one's always get chased off the food, particularly by the lower ranked big 'uns. This year, when I had my original hens, my 14 week olds, and my 5 week olds, all together, I had 3 water/food stations. As soon as I would fill up a dish, an older bird would commandeer it for awhile, but eventually would lose interest, so everyone had access.
That’s what happens here. Lately it’s been getting to where the hens are jumping on the pullets and I swear one day I’ll lose it on them. The aggression is ridiculous because they have a full acre to roam but instead they chase the young ones around.

The little dog is sooo cute lol

And you've probably tried this already but you can try treating him for being quiet, even if it's only a few seconds (which it probably will be at first). Make sure it's something really high value and tasty like some hot dog or chicken. Slowly build up duration and/or eventually add a "quiet" command. Might work better than the squirt gun and yield long term results. And/or could also teach him enough or a settle command and to go to his bed or something when you say it. Will probably take a while especially if this is a very established habit but even fakers can be trained. :)

That’s what happens here. Lately it’s been getting to where the hens are jumping on the pullets and I swear one day I’ll lose it on them. The aggression is ridiculous because they have a full acre to roam but instead they chase the young ones around.
But...but.. it's so much fun!

But...but.. it's so much fun!
Oh I know! Now we’ve started having the older hens sit on top of the young pullets in the nest boxes just to do it. One has taken to sitting in the favorite box (not keeping the eggs warm and still laying so not broody...yet) but just to make sure the young pullets can’t use it.

Back
Top Bottom