➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

What is a friend badge and why did I get one? I have a bunch of messages congratulating me, no message explaining it. :confused:

Did I just go longer than usual without offending someone? :duc
It means someone nominated you and the mods agreed with the nomination and awarded you with a badge under your name.

Oh! That Q&A thing I never bothered to do suddenly makes more sense. But the friend one doesn't require anything other than having at least one person like you and not being a complete jerk? :gig
Pretty much...I guess.

Ah dang I was trying to catch up and had tons of quotes but then I accidentally cleared my history so I could start over buying some tickets, forgetting that it would also log me out of BYC, so then I logged back in but now I lost all my quotes and have to start all over again LOL I hadn’t started typing yet so that’s why I think. Maybe I should paste them as I go LOL although I don’t know if it would have deleted it when I logged out anyway... got the tickets though lol actually got a few for several events I’ve been meaning to buy them for. Ha

Anyway, thankfully, I did try to read bits and pieces while I was gone, not much but a bit, couldn’t stay totally away :lau :oops: just didn’t have time to log in and reply (sorry if I worried anyone :oops: ) so I’m not TOTALLY behind but it’s just mildly annoying having to go find everything I wanted to quote again lol but you guys are totally worth it. :D

And I know, I know, probably don’t need to reply to everything or totally catch up, but I want to lol or at least reply to people who replied to me :lau

Although actually I might be able to just sum it up a bit here....

Congrats Tess on getting into vet school!!! And also welcome back to the thread! Sorry I wasn’t here to greet you aha :oops:

Kiki..... STEAL THOSE DUCKS. Banty, they look to be domestic ducks anyway (scovies!?) so I don’t think animal control or even the fish and game people would care!! She’d actually be rescuing them probably technically I guess!! Soooo..... Kiki.... STEAL THOSE DUCKS!!!

Speaking of ducks, congrats on all the baby ducklings!!! :D and sorry about the loss of one of them. :( and any more losses if I missed any. But congrats!! Real cuties.

Sorry if anybody’s having a bad year with the gardens!

I finally got mine planted not this past weekend that just happened but the one before it, the first weekend I went “missing” :p

And I got some more from Tractor Supply soon after that I planted.

All doing well so far except we have some bugs eating some holes in the pepper leaves and my chickens also find them quite tasty!!! :barnie I think they are a bigger threat than the bugs! :barnie

Actually, it’s mostly one culprit LOL May the Barred Rock.

Gotta get a fence up!!!

Anyway, I think that about sums it up LOL

Now to go find some actual quotes to quote. :lau

:lau well the faker is the father so they are only half faker LOL

View attachment 1820247

So what is a jack/chi...if chihuahua is the father, what in the Jack is the mother's breed?
She doesn't have the look or coat of a Jack Russell.
And IMO $400 for a mix breed puppy is ludicrous!

Yeah, I agree that she definitely does NOT look Jack Russell haha I don’t know what she is. Maybe she is at least part Jack Russell though? Maybe a mix? But she’s definitely not pure jack lol so either that person is extremely ignorant or a liar. She is definitely at least part terrier though and cute.

And ehhh, honestly that’s pretty cheap, at least for around here.

We payed at least that for Gator, maybe closer to 6 idk. And all the rescues here charge at least that, most are like $500, $600, $700, that’s usually the puppies and young ones since they charge more for those of course but still, even the adults are a lot.

And there aren’t many strays here so most of them ship dogs up from the south or wherever.

And for almost all of them unless they have a foster up here which most don’t, it’s basically sight unseen. You get to see pictures on the Petfinder page if they have them but otherwise you just meet the truck in a random parking lot and they just unload the dogs one by one and and hand them to people. It’s crazy.

DB & FSIL paid like at least $600 or maybe even close to $700 for Libby and Franklin. Frank might have been cheaper. Idk. He was a different rescue. But still, Libby was definitely over $600. They claim those fees include transport and Libby was already spayed (and she was only 12 weeks when they got her, way too early to spay imo) and had shots and stuff so I guess all that adds up but still.... the dogs are stacked in crates in the trucks.

Libby’s they supposedly had vet techs take them out for walks and potty every few hours but who knows. But even so, I can’t imagine transport costs that much and neither does vet care. Actually, most of the dogs are probably already vetted before being transferred to these rescues. So it’s crazy.

And of course almost every single one of these dogs is mutts. Usually with tons of breeds and unknown history too instead of just two breeds/knowing who the parents are.

It worked out with Libby and Franklin, they are both amazing dogs. FSIL tried to pick dogs who were looking at the camera in their pictures since she figured it must mean they were smart and/or were in tune with/interested in people since they were probably trying to get their attention for the photos. It worked out, Libby is insanely smart. Frank is so sweet and obedient. He has some anxiety but not too bad. Both healthy so far. So it worked out but it’s still kinda crazy.

So for me, $400 isn’t that much. Here some Craigslist dogs are 4, 5, 6, 7 hundred too. On the Erie CL and shelters most of the dogs are $150-$200 or even less than $100 sometimes which is much much better than here and why I am looking out there haha I can get the same dog for much much less than what they would ask here.

That’s also part of why I am considering CL when I never would have before or just finding a reputable breeder because I was considering rescue too and spent a ton of time looking at rescue dogs too but all the prices are insane and then what really got me was seeing a couple purebred dogs of small, popular breeds (like Yorkie, Maltese, etc.) at one rescue listed for like $800 and that’s when I was like they have GOT to be selling these dogs/making money and did some digging and found some articles on “rescue retail.” And honestly I believe it and think that’s what they’re doing and won’t support it.

Obviously not all rescues do this and there are nice, hardworking, honest people who work there, and I get that these dogs need homes but honestly most of these so called “rescues” don’t even have an actual building and only rely on fosters and I’m sure they already have vet care too before being “rescued” so literally no overhead or close to it and they’re somehow not making money?

Not to mention the many rescues shipping dogs in from foreign countries (and introducing diseases in. Some of these imported dogs had brucellosis) when there are supposedly already soooo many dogs and cats that need homes here??? Yet we import more?? It all just seems a bit fishy to me and it seems like the sadder the story, the easier they sell so that’s why they do it or sometimes they even make up stories.

I don’t mean to bash rescues or to rant but I’m not gonna pay that much money and support this whole rescue retail thing.

So that’s part of why I started looking on Craigslist, I figured it’s basically the same thing since these are the dogs that eventually end up in shelters anyway except they won’t have had the trauma of being in the shelter. I can still help but not support people making money off of these poor dogs.

And btw here are the articles I read on it.

https://www.philanthropydaily.com/the-big-business-of-dog-rescue/

https://animallaw.foxrothschild.com/2014/05/20/the-phenomenon-called-retail-rescue/

Oh and for reference they picked their dogs up in Connecticut. Saying this cause you’ll see the stats on locations in one of the articles.

"Designer" mutts. What a joke.

Honestly I used to feel that way and would have never ever considered one but then I realized they’re still dogs and they still need homes.

I still would never buy one from a pet store or anything but some of those dogs in those links were like 5 or 6 months old and just needed a new home. Reasonable rehoming fee. So I don’t really get how that is any different than getting a mutt of the same mix from a shelter or whatever.

Now granted the listings of puppies, like the maltipoo ones, were probably stupid and supporting someone breeding them but still.

Even that maltipoo one didn’t even call it that, they just said Maltese/Poodle, and they were pretty cheap at 400 considering they’d be like $800, $1000, $1200 here, which leads me to believe it could have just been an accidental cross between the dogs instead of on purpose since he didn’t use the cutesy name to try to sell them or charge an outrageous fee but idk.

But I’ve heard that that is a good mix. I knew someone that had one.

But I think they are sold now anyway, I never looked into it.

And I honestly wasn’t seriously considering it anyway. I was just browsing Craigslist and listing possible options. And I found that and heard they were a good mix so listed it.

But I probably wouldn’t buy a young puppy like that and support them. I know that’s not the best idea and I don’t like to support mills or bad breeders either. But I figured maybe it was an accidental litter. Maybe I am naive ha who knows.

Anyway, if/when I get a dog, I’ll probably either go to a reputable breeder or find one being rehomed on Craigslist rather than buying a puppy like that. I guess it’s no different than a mill. Idk.

But as for the dogs themselves, I don’t really get what is so bad about it. Obviously I know buying them is bad so it was stupid to even consider it but the dogs themselves are no different than any other mutt and often a lot of the crosses are of great breeds and have great temperaments.

I used to be 100% against them too and I still don’t think purposely crossing them or buying one is good, I think that’s stupid or even cruel, so I guess that means the crosses themselves would cease to exist if that stopped, idk, but there are some good dogs from the crosses. They’re dogs just like any other dog. And again, not saying I would buy one or support it, but just saying the dogs themselves aren’t all bad.

If I got one though it would be a rescue. I wouldn’t support breeding them. That puppy ad for the maltipoo was stupid but the other “designer” ones I think were all older. Idk. The ads have been deleted now. And I’ve also tried to find dogs of those crosses or any cross in rescue but there really aren’t any “maltipoos” around here or other cross or else I would consider rescuing one. I even tried looking for purebreds in the rescue. But then again, if one existed, it would probably be like $800 so I think I’ll stick to either rescuing Craigslist dogs or just buying a purebred.

IT'S HOT!
:th

I'm not liking summer time much this year.
Maybe I'm getting old.

I HATE heat but mostly I hate humidity.

I agree! It’s some kind of wire terrier or something. This is a Jack/Chi. Or at least MY Jack/Chi. This is Marley and she is 10 yrs old. We’ve had her since she was 1 yr old. She is blind in one eye (she had a melting ulcer and lost her vision. We were able to save her eye tho instead of it having to be removed.) She loves all people and is quick with her tongue so you have to be careful around her lol! I don’t know how “designer” she is but she’s special to me.

Awww she is adorable!!! Love her. But yeah, I don’t think that dog was jack russel lol

I think I am going to drop an easy ten pounds this summer without even trying.
Just from this heat.

:lau You might just sweat all the weight off :lau

Been out of shape the last two weeks...sore joints have been slowly creeping up on me, but I keep active! I will see a rheumatologist in a few weeks. Got a referral to the same doctor my hubby sees. We like him.

The garden is not the best we have ever had, but okay. Tomatoes and peppers are struggling with all the rain in May and June. Hopefully they will make a late summer/fall crop like last year.
Sugar snap peas did well as did the cauliflower and broccoli. Cabbages are small as softballs, but hope they get bigger.
Lettuces were good in the beginning, but bolted early. I'm letting a few go to seed for fall lettuce. As did the Pak choi and mustard greens.
Carrots are good. Okra is now up. Turnips and beets are nice.
Did not plant beans or corn this year.
More rain today...1.5 inches do far. More coming tonight.

Two more baby ducks hatched. Will add them to their siblings tomorrow. Funny how the momma ducks take those featherless webbies to a rain puddle do they can bathe and swim!
View attachment 1822848
And finally the new additions...not named yet. They were deposited on the vet's stoop yesterday morning in a cardboard box. Six of them six weeks old. They are barn/wild kitties and were covered in fleas and were immediately treated and vaccinated. I got a call from a friend that they were up for adoption. Called and got these two. The gray and white is a male and the black and white us a female. They will get booster and rabies shots and neutered when old enough. Should make some nice barn kitties as well as pets.

Bookends
View attachment 1822827

The spot on his side looks like an apple...
View attachment 1822828
He is super playful and she growls and hisses, but they both purr when held and petted. Maybe Witch Hazel and Pomme Tom.
View attachment 1822829

Barely see her stripe...looks like a white paint stroke.
View attachment 1822830
We have had pairs before...George and Helen, Mauvis and Murdock.

Those kittens are soooo adorable. :love

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom