➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

Molpet

Crossing the Road
Premium member
Sep 7, 2015
New Lenox township. Illinois USA
My Coop
My Coop
I've used my wooden spatula for 39 years and my mother used it for many years before me. Some old recipes call for a wood utensil. Aunt Bill's candy is one....make that every year and using my wood spatula brings back many family memories.

I have a problem with people coming to the farm...bio-security issues. I usually meet them ina nearby parking lot with birds they might be interested in purchasing. It is worth the extra effort to insure nothing gets tracked in on tires or feet. Also hubby, retired police, doesn't want strangers checking out the barn and property. There have been many thefts in our area the past few years.

When I had extra duck eggs I would make an egg salad spread for sandwiches.
And my dogs got poached eggs for breakfast in their food. Put water in a bowl crack in egg and fork the yolk. One minute in microwave. Done. Forking the yolk keeps the egg from blowing up in the microwave.

Some family member think they are tough. I found that duck egg whites do not make good merrainge (spelling) for pies. Loved to use them in baking. Others love them.

Looks like one rooster...great picture.

I actually agree with everyone suggesting the chick be culled. The fact it is blind in one eye and the eyelids are cleft makes retaining its good eye difficult. Chicks peck each other and anything different is investigated by beak.

All breeders and hatcheries have genetics that produce deformities in one form or another. For most hatches 99% of the time good genetics produce good/healthy chicks. Those eggs that quit could be nature's way of eliminating bad nics.

Your chick might be okay or could have other issues you don't see yet. I used to try to "fix" things like spraddle leg, curled toes, etc, but tracking those showed they often did not survive past the brooder stage or were so low in the pecking order that they suffered.
It is your decision.
Bio security is a good point.
I am worried about a bird getting loose and getting lost.

How to transfer broody raised never handled wild pullets and jennies? Or cheap cage design and just send it with.

FortCluck

Purple Minion Wrangler
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
I've used my wooden spatula for 39 years and my mother used it for many years before me. Some old recipes call for a wood utensil. Aunt Bill's candy is one....make that every year and using my wood spatula brings back many family memories.

I have a problem with people coming to the farm...bio-security issues. I usually meet them ina nearby parking lot with birds they might be interested in purchasing. It is worth the extra effort to insure nothing gets tracked in on tires or feet. Also hubby, retired police, doesn't want strangers checking out the barn and property. There have been many thefts in our area the past few years.

When I had extra duck eggs I would make an egg salad spread for sandwiches.
And my dogs got poached eggs for breakfast in their food. Put water in a bowl crack in egg and fork the yolk. One minute in microwave. Done. Forking the yolk keeps the egg from blowing up in the microwave.

Some family member think they are tough. I found that duck egg whites do not make good merrainge (spelling) for pies. Loved to use them in baking. Others love them.

Looks like one rooster...great picture.

I actually agree with everyone suggesting the chick be culled. The fact it is blind in one eye and the eyelids are cleft makes retaining its good eye difficult. Chicks peck each other and anything different is investigated by beak.

All breeders and hatcheries have genetics that produce deformities in one form or another. For most hatches 99% of the time good genetics produce good/healthy chicks. Those eggs that quit could be nature's way of eliminating bad nics.

Your chick might be okay or could have other issues you don't see yet. I used to try to "fix" things like spraddle leg, curled toes, etc, but tracking those showed they often did not survive past the brooder stage or were so low in the pecking order that they suffered.
It is your decision.
I also bring chicks that people want to buy to a parking lot because I don't allow strangers to come to my house just because I do not feel comfortable with it.

Molpet

Crossing the Road
Premium member
Sep 7, 2015
My Coop
My Coop
I also bring chicks that people want to buy to a parking lot because I don't allow strangers to come to my house just because I do not feel comfortable with it.
Chicks would not be hard to transfer or to just have in a box.
But I don't know if they are keepers until they are older.

Molpet

Crossing the Road
Premium member
Sep 7, 2015
My Coop
My Coop
I wait until mine are about 6 to 10 weeks before I sell them. I never let them go when they are younger because I like to choose what I'm keeping before anyone else chooses theirs.
Mine have never been handled, raised by a wild broody too. I raise the cockerels for the freezer. If I tame them I feel like I am betraying them. So far I have not been able to process a perfectly good pullet. Silly I know. :oops:

FortCluck

Purple Minion Wrangler
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
Mine have never been handled, raised by a wild broody too. I raise the cockerels for the freezer. If I tame them I feel like I am betraying them. So far I have not been able to process a perfectly good pullet. Silly I know. :oops:
Do you have any way that you could catch them like a net or anything?

I would just let them be raised the way they have always been raised and then catch them when they're older.

Maybe make some sort of cage that opens in the top so that it's easy to put them in.

I haven't even been able to process any of my chickens because they all sold 😂 I do have one cockerel that's in my layer flock right now that I will have to process. It was born on Halloween, but it definitely isn't big enough yet. The only reason it is with my layer flock is because it snuck through the fence 🙄

Molpet

Crossing the Road
Premium member
Sep 7, 2015
My Coop
My Coop
Do you have any way that you could catch them like a net or anything?

I would just let them be raised the way they have always been raised and then catch them when they're older.

Maybe make some sort of cage that opens in the top so that it's easy to put them in.

I haven't even been able to process any of my chickens because they all sold 😂 I do have one cockerel that's in my layer flock right now that I will have to process. It was born on Halloween, but it definitely isn't big enough yet. The only reason it is with my layer flock is because it snuck through the fence 🙄
Yep I can catch them with a net if I can get them in a coop. Last year I got them in a coop, people came out to look and I caught them with a net and stuffed them in their cage.

Top Bottom