➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

This is my morning find from the incubator!
20200127_085714.jpg

If I were to ever get a reptile it would definitely be a leopard gecko. They look like the happiest reptile on the planet and are so photogenic. Not that being photogenic is a requirement but I mean, how would you be able to help yourself? Obviously these are not my photos but just some that came across my FB feed. It's a sweet little gecko with a TOY gecko. I mean... can you ever stand it?!? Omgosh too cute! Here's your smile for the day. :love :love :love

View attachment 2012401

View attachment 2012400
My leopard gecko is silly lol. They're so cute though.

Got the carpets cleaned in the rent house last week. Yesterday hubby and I replaced burned out light bulbs...spent over $100 on replacement bulbs...in every room and still need to buy more. The elderly couple had one bulb in each room in order to save on their electric bill. Used table lamps by their chairs in the living room.
We made a list of a few things that need to be done at the rent house but now I can begin moving furniture and boxes there.

Still have a little more to be done on the taxes. So that is out of the way.

We checked with our flooring store and have some estimates to be done on the remodel of our home.
Soon we will be rolling on projects.
We did our taxes last week. I usually do them the instant we get W2's in. It's more because we are forgetful 😂

I've used my wooden spatula for 39 years and my mother used it for many years before me. Some old recipes call for a wood utensil. Aunt Bill's candy is one....make that every year and using my wood spatula brings back many family memories.

I have a problem with people coming to the farm...bio-security issues. I usually meet them ina nearby parking lot with birds they might be interested in purchasing. It is worth the extra effort to insure nothing gets tracked in on tires or feet. Also hubby, retired police, doesn't want strangers checking out the barn and property. There have been many thefts in our area the past few years.

When I had extra duck eggs I would make an egg salad spread for sandwiches.
And my dogs got poached eggs for breakfast in their food. Put water in a bowl crack in egg and fork the yolk. One minute in microwave. Done. Forking the yolk keeps the egg from blowing up in the microwave.

Some family member think they are tough. I found that duck egg whites do not make good merrainge (spelling) for pies. Loved to use them in baking. Others love them.

Looks like one rooster...great picture.

I actually agree with everyone suggesting the chick be culled. The fact it is blind in one eye and the eyelids are cleft makes retaining its good eye difficult. Chicks peck each other and anything different is investigated by beak.

All breeders and hatcheries have genetics that produce deformities in one form or another. For most hatches 99% of the time good genetics produce good/healthy chicks. Those eggs that quit could be nature's way of eliminating bad nics.

Your chick might be okay or could have other issues you don't see yet. I used to try to "fix" things like spraddle leg, curled toes, etc, but tracking those showed they often did not survive past the brooder stage or were so low in the pecking order that they suffered.
It is your decision.

Bio security is a good point.
I am worried about a bird getting loose and getting lost.

How to transfer broody raised never handled wild pullets and jennies? Or cheap cage design and just send it with.

I've used my wooden spatula for 39 years and my mother used it for many years before me. Some old recipes call for a wood utensil. Aunt Bill's candy is one....make that every year and using my wood spatula brings back many family memories.

I have a problem with people coming to the farm...bio-security issues. I usually meet them ina nearby parking lot with birds they might be interested in purchasing. It is worth the extra effort to insure nothing gets tracked in on tires or feet. Also hubby, retired police, doesn't want strangers checking out the barn and property. There have been many thefts in our area the past few years.

When I had extra duck eggs I would make an egg salad spread for sandwiches.
And my dogs got poached eggs for breakfast in their food. Put water in a bowl crack in egg and fork the yolk. One minute in microwave. Done. Forking the yolk keeps the egg from blowing up in the microwave.

Some family member think they are tough. I found that duck egg whites do not make good merrainge (spelling) for pies. Loved to use them in baking. Others love them.

Looks like one rooster...great picture.

I actually agree with everyone suggesting the chick be culled. The fact it is blind in one eye and the eyelids are cleft makes retaining its good eye difficult. Chicks peck each other and anything different is investigated by beak.

All breeders and hatcheries have genetics that produce deformities in one form or another. For most hatches 99% of the time good genetics produce good/healthy chicks. Those eggs that quit could be nature's way of eliminating bad nics.

Your chick might be okay or could have other issues you don't see yet. I used to try to "fix" things like spraddle leg, curled toes, etc, but tracking those showed they often did not survive past the brooder stage or were so low in the pecking order that they suffered.
It is your decision.
I also bring chicks that people want to buy to a parking lot because I don't allow strangers to come to my house just because I do not feel comfortable with it.

Back
Top Bottom