➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

What's wrong with them?
From her thread, it has been suggested that it is blackhead. If blackhead is a problem in the locale, it can be a death sentence to turkeys if kept with chickens. Chickens can be carriers of blackhead.

The fact that the poults did not get sick until after they were out with the chickens does make blackhead a strong suspicion.

From her thread, it has been suggested that it is blackhead. If blackhead is a problem in the locale, it can be a death sentence to turkeys if kept with chickens. Chickens can be carriers of blackhead.

The fact that the poults did not get sick until after they were out with the chickens does make blackhead a strong suspicion.
So note to self... Do not let turkeys go near chickens 📝

If blackhead is an issue in the area, the soil where chickens have been can be contaminated for up to 7 years. If blackhead is not an issue in the area, the chickens won't be carriers and can be in the same places with turkeys.

There are other reasons such as the size that turkeys can grow up to be and how they may react to chickens that also make it a good idea to raise the turkeys separately from the chickens.

If blackhead is an issue in the area, the soil where chickens have been can be contaminated for up to 7 years. If blackhead is not an issue in the area, the chickens won't be carriers and can be in the same places with turkeys.

There are other reasons such as the size that turkeys can grow up to be and how they may react to chickens that also make it a good idea to raise the turkeys separately from the chickens.
What about if they have a chain link separating them? Still too close together?

What about if they have a chain link separating them? Still too close together?

I wouldn’t think that would prevent disease from spreading if it was there but if not it might be okay? Do you have turkeys in the area? I know we have tons of turkeys here and they go near my chickens all the time and are perfectly fine as far as I can tell so I don’t think we have it here? Unless maybe the wild turkeys have developed an immunity to it??

My mum wants me to raise a couple of turkeys for her to keep with the chickens. I agreed of course.. free baby birds with no long term responsibility. Lol.
We don't know what will be available yet but I was going to ask you if you had an opinion on different breeds.

What's wrong with them?
What @R2elk said is what we're treating for. I'm hoping at least one can be saved! Poor babies, they just wanted to live a life of lap sitting!
Are these kelso and greys games?
Yes, I'm hatching out a batch of each for someone else. Cute buggers!
AMEN! I should've listened to R2 before I set the eggs!

I guess I found out the hard way that my chickens are carriers. They're carrying alot of unnecessary baggage! It's been like losing pet outside puppies!!! Amazing how attached you can get!

What @R2elk said is what we're treating for. I'm hoping at least one can be saved! Poor babies, they just wanna live a life of lap sitting!

Yes, I'm hatching out a batch of each for someone else. Cute buggers!

AMEN! I should've listened to R2 before I set the eggs!

I guess I found out the hard way that my chickens are carriers. They're carrying alot of unnecessary baggage! It's been like losing pet outside puppies!!! Amazing how attached you can get!
Nice!

Back
Top Bottom