➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

My mum wants me to raise a couple of turkeys for her to keep with the chickens. I agreed of course.. free baby birds with no long term responsibility. Lol.
We don't know what will be available yet but I was going to ask you if you had an opinion on different breeds.
Oops, my mother in law. Not my mum.

For the record, I have talked with her about blackhead and she knows the risks. She wants to try getting 3 poults and seeing how it goes.

My mum wants me to raise a couple of turkeys for her to keep with the chickens. I agreed of course.. free baby birds with no long term responsibility. Lol.
We don't know what will be available yet but I was going to ask you if you had an opinion on different breeds.
All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. You can check out many of the different heritage varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

If they are to be pet turkeys you will be better off to find local turkeys that are at least 3 to 6 months old so that they can be sexed and get a pair of hens. Royal Palms while very pretty are one of the smaller varieties and can be very flighty. I really liked my Bourbon Reds, Blue Slates and now my Sweetgrass.

All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. You can check out many of the different heritage varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

If they are to be pet turkeys you will be better off to find local turkeys that are at least 3 to 6 months old so that they can be sexed and get a pair of hens. Royal Palms while very pretty are one of the smaller varieties and can be very flighty. I really liked my Bourbon Reds, Blue Slates and now my Sweetgrass.

I had no idea there were so many different kinds of turkeys!! :eek: :th

I think I’ve only ever seen like 7-8. Had no idea there were so many other kinds. Are some of those ones on that site project colors or are they all older/heritage varieties? This is so interesting.

Back
Top Bottom