➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

In my genealogy research I've learned a lot about early family life.....
In the late 1800s and early 1900s farm families were large. A baby was born about every two years...no birth control then other than mothers nursing their baby. Children began working on the farms at very young ages. Older siblings were "assigned" younger children to care for and teach chores. This often meant older daughters raised their younger siblings when the mother was ill or died.

In town, men frequented brothels so families were slightly smaller. (Learned that tidbit from my great grandmother)

During the Depression and Dust Bowl eras, families encouraged young daughters to marry so there would be one less mouth to feed or so her husband would provide financial support/work for family.
Young women often became stepmothers to children whose mother died from birthing complications. The husbands were older and often chose women without children to marry....or as in my Hubby's family...the man who married his great grandmother, refused to raise his young wife's two children. Thus her parents/the grandparents raised her children. My grandmother was 16 when she married my grandfather. He was 41.

Only after World War I did the size of families begin to reduce. Mechanization (tractors with implements, factory jobs) and some changing societal roles/involvement of women helped begin the process.
Wow! That is fascinating, thank you for the cliff notes! Is genealogy what you studied for a living?
Hi all :frow
I got a new job, that is really taking me away from my BYC time :(

As far as I know, the house is still scheduled to be set on Wednesday, but it's been snowing for about 36 hours straight. :fl that it can still happen!
Best of luck, and congrats on the new job! Stay safe and warm.
It’s back up to the 60’s in Texas, good weather for moving. :)

Wow! That is fascinating, thank you for the cliff notes! Is genealogy what you studied for a living?

Best of luck, and congrats on the new job! Stay safe and warm.
It’s back up to the 60’s in Texas, good weather for moving. :)
Little bit chilly here this morning.
Isn't it?

Good morning balut buds!

Hi all :frow
I got a new job, that is really taking me away from my BYC time :(

As far as I know, the house is still scheduled to be set on Wednesday, but it's been snowing for about 36 hours straight. :fl that it can still happen!
Good luck...I hope it happens.:fl

We processed the last of the meat box heroes yesterday. After culling one early for impacted crop, the remaining 22 all did great. They got more active as the weather cooled and were nice, healthy chickens. We've been butchering them in groups over the last month. At one point my husband hurt his hand, so I had to get involved in the actual axe-meets chicken part. It was harder than I thought. I nearly dropped the first chicken I did. I have even more respect and gratitude for DH now, who does it so quickly and so stoically.

The last group is always the hardest to do, as I was definitely getting attached. I almost moved one "small" hen into my laying flock, but realized I had enough going on there right now without adding another body.

They were huge. The rooster in the last group was 10.5 lbs dressed. He was almost as big as our Thanksgiving turkey. The largest hen was 8 lbs. I'm sad, but glad all the chicken meat is in the freezer for the year, and I could clean out the meat bird house and open up their half of the yard back to my laying flock.

E9F4E8C5-38CC-46AD-9385-C6C84410912B.jpeg

Not pictured was my Art Hist quiz and exam from Chem as well as me having to stay until 6pm because of a competition that my science poster has 0 chance of winning since the printing place made it so blurry that even 20/20 people can’t read it. :th

View attachment 1606434
Not pictured was my Art Hist quiz and exam from Chem as well as me having to stay until 6pm because of a competition that my science poster has 0 chance of winning since the printing place made it so blurry that even 20/20 people can’t read it. :th
Is college really difficult? More so than High school?

Back
Top Bottom