➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

The vets from the state Dept of Ag came out today to test my flock for Pullorum Typhoid. Drew blood from 109 birds with no reactors. They did not test my butcher pen since they will be processed this next week...7 rooster and the duck.

We had penned up the breeders in the barn this morning because the ground in the pens was saturated sticky slippery mud. Meant we had to handle them twice, but saved loads of time during the process. We started at 1 pm and finished up including the paperwork by 2:05 pm.

The head vet teased us about "you must has practiced some dry runs with a stopwatch" but between hubby, bil and me, we kept the birds moving. Once we got our rhythm, we carried each bird to the vets who drew blood for the card then passed it back and took another. We then put breeders back in their pens or released the free rangers.
We were exhausted by the finish but I'm so happy to now be NPIP certified!

Yay! That is wonderful! Congratulations! :celebrate

How long does it take to clip one wing on 50+ chickens?
As long as it takes to catch them. I have a push screen...24 inch wide chicken wire stretched on a 28 " X 6 foot rectangle...made of PVC pipe with 4 PVC elbows. Helps to push and then pin the chickens in a corner. You can reach in, pick one up, clip and release out.

Is this not a beautiful picnic table? I wish I knew someone that could make me one. I would love it! :love
View attachment 2009565
Love this table! Looks like a stain painting.

Depends how good you are at catching them!
I would suggest going out at night and setting up a comfy towel on the floor. Pull them off one at a time and pin them between your legs while kneeling on the ground.
The towel is for your poor knees.
Not that you asked. 🤣 That's how I managed to give injections to 30-something of mine.
I like the towel and holding them with my knees, thanks for that. It'll be a lot of up, catch, kneel, clip, stand, release......repeat, huh?
Unfortunately I have a terrible immune system lol.
They won't tell us where this student was on campus for the last 3 weeks. Hoping there is some clarification by Monday, and yes, hopefully it's just the flu or something!
Vitamin C load....
Wing clipping is fast and easy. Catching 50 chickens? Not so fast and easy. The last time I had to catch all of my birds, I ended up with bruises on my hands. Mostly from those **** guinea fowl.
I haven't decided if I'm gonna clip the 2 I have, their flight to me is a survival thing here, to get away from the dogs, etc.
As long as it takes to catch them. I have a push screen...24 inch wide chicken wire stretched on a 28 " X 6 foot rectangle...made of PVC pipe with 4 PVC elbows. Helps to push and then pin the chickens in a corner. You can reach in, pick one up, clip and release.
I'm hoping for an extra set of hands.

Unfortunately I have a terrible immune system lol.
They won't tell us where this student was on campus for the last 3 weeks. Hoping there is some clarification by Monday, and yes, hopefully it's just the flu or something!
I just saw the story on the news.
Ughh.

How long does it take to clip one wing on 50+ chickens?
It will likely take longer to catch the chickens than it will to clip a wing.

I have an old pair of hand sheep shears that I use when clipping wings. It goes pretty quick. I don't clip wings on chickens and only rarely on turkeys.

It will likely take longer to catch the chickens than it will to clip a wing.

I have an old pair of hand sheep shears that I use when clipping wings. It goes pretty quick. I don't clip wings on chickens and only rarely on turkeys.
I'd like to be able to keep them off of the back porch, but they fly up onto the railing and love crapping all over the porch, and will fly up onto all the barns & sheds, & into the duck pen.......

Back
Top Bottom