➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

I also bring chicks that people want to buy to a parking lot because I don't allow strangers to come to my house just because I do not feel comfortable with it.
Chicks would not be hard to transfer or to just have in a box.
But I don't know if they are keepers until they are older.

I wait until mine are about 6 to 10 weeks before I sell them. I never let them go when they are younger because I like to choose what I'm keeping before anyone else chooses theirs.
Mine have never been handled, raised by a wild broody too. I raise the cockerels for the freezer. If I tame them I feel like I am betraying them. So far I have not been able to process a perfectly good pullet. Silly I know. :oops:

Mine have never been handled, raised by a wild broody too. I raise the cockerels for the freezer. If I tame them I feel like I am betraying them. So far I have not been able to process a perfectly good pullet. Silly I know. :oops:
Do you have any way that you could catch them like a net or anything?

I would just let them be raised the way they have always been raised and then catch them when they're older.

Maybe make some sort of cage that opens in the top so that it's easy to put them in.

I haven't even been able to process any of my chickens because they all sold 😂 I do have one cockerel that's in my layer flock right now that I will have to process. It was born on Halloween, but it definitely isn't big enough yet. The only reason it is with my layer flock is because it snuck through the fence 🙄

Do you have any way that you could catch them like a net or anything?

I would just let them be raised the way they have always been raised and then catch them when they're older.

Maybe make some sort of cage that opens in the top so that it's easy to put them in.

I haven't even been able to process any of my chickens because they all sold 😂 I do have one cockerel that's in my layer flock right now that I will have to process. It was born on Halloween, but it definitely isn't big enough yet. The only reason it is with my layer flock is because it snuck through the fence 🙄
Yep I can catch them with a net if I can get them in a coop. Last year I got them in a coop, people came out to look and I caught them with a net and stuffed them in their cage.

I just herd them into the coop and use a net to catch them. Once they are in the buyer's transport cage, they are the buyer's problem.
That's what I did last year. Thinking about not having people come to the property, so much mud and ice , have to time the ad. Bio security thoughts... Of course if they don't show it would be worse

That's what I did last year. Thinking about not having people come to the property, so much mud and ice , have to time the ad. Bio security thoughts... Of course if they don't show it would be worse
With such a small population base here, I don't have the issues that others can have. Living on a sand dune eliminates any potential mud although ice can be a problem.

Since I give away plants, shrubs and trees every spring, I am going to have people show up here. I am not about to dig up things, package them and haul them somewhere else and then end up with a no show. I won't do it with the poultry either.

With such a small population base here, I don't have the issues that others can have. Living on a sand dune eliminates any potential mud although ice can be a problem.

Since I give away plants, shrubs and trees every spring, I am going to have people show up here. I am not about to dig up things, package them and haul them somewhere else and then end up with a no show. I won't do it with the poultry either.
I had 3 buyers last year and one the year before. 2 were 20 minutes away, one was 1 1/2 hrs away. She didn't realize how far it was... She was about my age and hadn't been able to find pullets at a reasonable price... she was interested in turkeys and asked about eggs... so I gave her some hatching turkey eggs to make it worth her trip.

Chicks would not be hard to transfer or to just have in a box.
But I don't know if they are keepers until they are older.
I had 3 buyers last year and one the year before. 2 were 20 minutes away, one was 1 1/2 hrs away. She didn't realize how far it was... She was about my age and hadn't been able to find pullets at a reasonable price... she was interested in turkeys and asked about eggs... so I gave her some hatching turkey eggs to make it worth her trip.

I allow people to come to my place. The birds dont really go near the driveway free ranging they stay to the back. Lots more chicken interesting things to do back there. Then i make everyone use a bleach shoe bath. Thats NPIP protocol and good enough. I warn them their shoes or boots havero go into a foot bath but often they wanna see where their birds are coming from. I work hard at the network i have w my birds and often make additional sales because of keeping in touch with customers. Still 3 buyers is about all who came here, most of the time i meet them about halfway cuz im so far from the rest of civilization.

Back
Top Bottom