➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

I went back and enjoyed all the photos you have been posting. They are beautiful and lifted my spirit this week.

Very jealous of your tomatoes.
Late April I set out over 200 tomato plants in 9 varieties that I started from seed. These were between 8 and 12 inches high and some had blooms and tiny tomatoes. Hubby and I dressed each plant with aged compost and the covered that with straw and watered everything in well. They took off like rockets and we didn't lose a single plant.

Unbeknownst to us about a few weeks later the neighbor to the 1/2 mile south of us decided on a windy day to spray herbicide on the weedy barb wire pasture fence between our properties. Of course the wind was blowing from the south to the north.

The next morning I go out to water my garden and almost every tomato and eggplant has curled and deformed leaves at the top of each plant. I'm furious and devastated at the same time but determined! I set the sprinklers and waited. Nothing died back so I snipped off the deformed leaders and watched for sprouting side shoots. The plants are stunted and just now coming back in to bloom. So I may have a few August tomatoes.
What ever he used did not mess with the squash, peppers, carrots, turnips or brassicas. Perplexed by that.
And no, I didn't go storming down to the neighbor to confront him. The older couple is in poor health and he probably thought he was doing us a favor. And they are related to almost everyone in our small community.

Gotta love those feathered gardeners.
I am so sorry that happened to your plants. The power company gave me a notice about trees under the power lines needing trimmed. In their notice was a statement about spraying below the power lines with growth inhibitor and also an herbicide.

When I talked to the representative, I warned him against spraying anything because this is a hig wind area and a sand dune. There is no way they can control where their poisons end up either from wind drift or sand leeching it to everywhere.

Well I see your point about not raising a ruckus with the neighbors, ...buuut how is he going to know not to do it again if he doesn't know it happened?

Hubby told me about the county spraying roads north of us the day I planted....but no damage. Then we avoided having our pasture sprayed near the garden when we contracted for fertilizer and Grazon...there was no wind that day. And then this neighbor sprayed.
I mentioned to one of the dear elderly neighbors...we ALL check on her frequently...that my tomatoes "just look horrible! I just know it is an herbicide, but have NO IDEA how this could have happened."
The neighbor in question is up with the news and goings on and the dates...so he is smart enough to figure it out.

Thank you.
Oh, it was the notification about the photo tag that brought me back to the thread!! That is a great root on the seed too!

Hubby told me about the county spraying roads north of us the day I planted....but no damage. Then we avoided having our pasture sprayed near the garden when we contracted for fertilizer and Grazon...there was no wind that day. And then this neighbor sprayed.
I mentioned to one of the dear elderly neighbors...we ALL check on her frequently...that my tomatoes "just look horrible! I just know it is an herbicide, but have NO IDEA how this could have happened."
The neighbor in question is up with the news and goings on and the dates...so he is smart enough to figure it out.

Oh, it was the notification about the photo tag that brought me back to the thread!! That is a great root on the seed too!
Word of mouth works too :yesss:

I had planted one directly and then planted this one when I remembered to check on it. I repotted the first and found roots at the bottom of its container. They are both in much deeper but narrow pots that I had previously gotten tree starts in.

Just a little update on the baby chicks. They are 5 days old and are thriving. I still haven’t come up with names yet.... but I will. Oh the cuteness! :love
7F428674-EB0E-4B7E-913A-8A4500BF77EA.jpeg
29863C0B-2A4E-4EA0-BA90-E29F28AAC6CC.jpeg
5D5C2482-EA99-4BC4-A236-7FA8B16D4015.jpeg
491DD702-BEEA-49D0-99F0-3B82350288B5.jpeg
8D851E61-1C91-4024-A6A3-1C45A612EBD4.jpeg
42BAC32E-185D-4DFB-B675-2E1C9974ECDB.jpeg

I opened the doors of the coop and let Daisy and the babies come out to the yard. There was some curiosity from the others. Daisy took on a couple hens that got a little too close to her babies. In all honesty, the hens were trying to check out their food in the coop and not bother the wee ones. Lol. They just got a little too close. All of this was supervised with us right there and only lasted maybe 30 minutes. All in all, was a good first introduction.

Just a little update on the baby chicks. They are 5 days old and are thriving. I still haven’t come up with names yet.... but I will. Oh the cuteness! :love
View attachment 2225960View attachment 2225961View attachment 2225962View attachment 2225963View attachment 2225964View attachment 2225965
I opened the doors of the coop and let Daisy and the babies come out to the yard. There was some curiosity from the others. Daisy took on a couple hens that got a little too close to her babies. In all honesty, the hens were trying to check out their food in the coop and not bother the wee ones. Lol. They just got a little too close. All of this was supervised with us right there and only lasted maybe 30 minutes. All in all, was a good first introduction.
Awww so cute!!!

How old are these precious ones?

I've got a mama and her 2 hatchlings separated. It's been a week and everyone can eyeball the other. This hatch was actually a mess but we have 2.

Back
Top Bottom