➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

Dragonfly on Rudbeckia
full

full

Honeybee on Gumweed
full

Lookee what my kindly postman brought me this morning. I’m really fortunate. My postman is a rural carrier and doesn’t mind hauling chick boxes to me if they are at the local post office when he picks up his load in the morning. Saves me or DH an hour round trip. I ordered the hatchery special. I got 10 pearls, 3 Lavs, and 3 Royal Purple (at least that is what they look like). @R2elk, correct me if I’m wrong, the royal purple is a semi pearled gene that is recessive to the normal pearled gene, and the Lav is a blue gene that is recessive to the grey gene?

I’m wondering for future breeding purposes.

FB9AADAC-1BCB-49FC-B160-7E30C9FBE529.jpeg
D8083C40-A13E-421B-9832-8113B28EE636.jpeg
1EA691C9-1CFC-4684-8384-CEE9AE64D188.jpeg
477DACB2-9F9C-482D-AF58-EE1BF11DC988.jpeg

Lookee what my kindly postman brought me this morning. I’m really fortunate. My postman is a rural carrier and doesn’t mind hauling chick boxes to me if they are at the local post office when he picks up his load in the morning. Saves me or DH an hour round trip. I ordered the hatchery special. I got 10 pearls, 3 Lavs, and 3 Royal Purple (at least that is what they look like). @R2elk, correct me if I’m wrong, the royal purple is a semi pearled gene that is recessive to the normal pearled gene, and the Lav is a blue gene that is recessive to the grey gene?

I’m wondering for future breeding purposes.

View attachment 2277397View attachment 2277398View attachment 2277399View attachment 2277400
Yes there are Cornish chicks in there as well.

I got 10 pearls, 3 Lavs, and 3 Royal Purple (at least that is what they look like). @R2elk, correct me if I’m wrong, the royal purple is a semi pearled gene that is recessive to the normal pearled gene, and the Lav is a blue gene that is recessive to the grey gene?
Lavender is 2 recessive blue genes with at least one full dotting gene. Pearl Grays are at least one dominant gray gene and at least one full dotting gene.

I am not convinced that Royal Purples have the dominant gray gene based on how my Royal Purples are being created. My Chocolate cock mates with a Coral Blue hen to produce my Royal Purples. This would imply that my Royal Purples have a buff gene and a blue gene. I am also not convinced that Chocolates are buff genes as claimed.

Whatever Royal Purples are, they have zero full dotting genes and at least one partial dotting gene. Their other gene is either a second partial dotting gene or a no dotting gene.

Lavender is 2 recessive blue genes with at least one full dotting gene. Pearl Grays are at least one dominant gray gene and at least one full dotting gene.

I am not convinced that Royal Purples have the dominant gray gene based on how my Royal Purples are being created. My Chocolate cock mates with a Coral Blue hen to produce my Royal Purples. This would imply that my Royal Purples have a buff gene and a blue gene. I am also not convinced that Chocolates are buff genes as claimed.

Whatever Royal Purples are, they have zero full dotting genes and at least one partial dotting gene. Their other gene is either a second partial dotting gene or a no dotting gene.
Hopefully I have at least one male and one female form each of the odd colors. I’ve had some people wanting to buy ANY color guinea except pearl. Also, is there any GOOD way to tell male from female except from their calls? I have a hard time telling.

Hopefully I have at least one male and one female form each of the odd colors. I’ve had some people wanting to buy ANY color guinea except pearl. Also, is there any GOOD way to tell male from female except from their calls? I have a hard time telling.
The earliest way to sex guineas is by their call. Once they are adults, the different sexes have a few differentiating habits. The easiest time to sex them is during laying season. The hen's bustle will be raised during laying season.

Adult hens will look straight at you while males will look at you from the side while they sidle around trying to size you up as an opponent. During breeding season a male will lie down while the hen forages in a circle around him. During laying season a male may stand erect while guarding his hen when she is on her nest.

Back
Top Bottom