🌱Growing With Ben🌱 ~ The Chonicles of the Troublesome Seeds

Which fruits/vegetables have you successfully grown before?

• Total voters
Pics
I counted 33 sprouts from the peppers today. :th
I have no idea what I’m going to do with all of them. Is each of them going to need an individual pot? How much space will they need?
If you want them to all be happy, healthy plants:

Yes, individual pots.
They can have small pots at first, but within a few months they will do best if each pepper has a pot about 1 foot each way (length, width, and height). Of course bigger pots are fine too.

Or you can pick the best one, or the best few, and compost the rest of the baby plants. You can also put them all in small pots for now, and let them grow for a while before picking some to keep and some to compost.

I have no idea what I’m going to do with all of them. Is each of them going to need an individual pot? How much space will they need?
As adult plants they will need to be about a foot apart. You will need to transplant them to individual containers soon.

If you want them to all be happy, healthy plants:

Yes, individual pots.
They can have small pots at first, but within a few months they will do best if each pepper has a pot about 1 foot each way (length, width, and height). Of course bigger pots are fine too.

Or you can pick the best one, or the best few, and compost the rest of the baby plants. You can also put them all in small pots for now, and let them grow for a while before picking some to keep and some to compost.
As adult plants they will need to be about a foot apart. You will need to transplant them to individual containers soon.
Alright, thanks.
I’ll pick out the best few to keep once they get older. I am NOT going to buy 33 separate pots for each of them. ✋

You're not alone... I got a LOT (well, not 33...) of pepper plants this year. I had to give a few away, and I still have two in pots that I sadly didn't have space for. I recommend giving a few to friends/family that garden, and that way you can keep as much or as little as you want, without having a yard full of pepper seedlings.

They will likely need an individual pot, but I managed to plant a few plants into one tire planter.

Alright, thanks.
I’ll pick out the best few to keep once they get older. I am NOT going to buy 33 separate pots for each of them. ✋
I gather used pots from other people for free as well as keeping any pots I get from purchased plants. The only pots I buy are the Jiffy Pots since they are a one time only use.

One down, 32 to go. 😅

Gave one seedling to my niece. I’m planning to give each of my nieces and nephews a seedling so they can grow them together. I have 5 right now- 2 nephews, 3 nieces.

I had trouble transplanting because they are all so close together… I’ll have to figure out an easier way.

I had trouble transplanting because they are all so close together… I’ll have to figure out an easier way.
Two ways I've done when I had too many seedlings near each other:

Take a whole clump out of the dirt, untangle all the roots, and put each one in its own pot. Most of them seem to survive that pretty well, although I've certainly had a few die. It can help to use something pointy to help dig them up and move them around-- the tip of a pencil, or a toothpick, or something like that.

A few times, I just transplanted a whole clump into a bigger pot, waited a few days to see whether any died from the shock, then used scissors to snip off all but the best plant. That gave me one good plant in the pot, with as little stress as possible for that plant.

Since you have plenty of seedlings, you can try several things, and if a few die it's not a really big deal, because you will probably have plenty left.

One down, 32 to go. 😅

Gave one seedling to my niece. I’m planning to give each of my nieces and nephews a seedling so they can grow them together. I have 5 right now- 2 nephews, 3 nieces.

I use the blade of my pocket knife to separate and lift out individual plants.

Two ways I've done when I had too many seedlings near each other:

Take a whole clump out of the dirt, untangle all the roots, and put each one in its own pot. Most of them seem to survive that pretty well, although I've certainly had a few die. It can help to use something pointy to help dig them up and move them around-- the tip of a pencil, or a toothpick, or something like that.

A few times, I just transplanted a whole clump into a bigger pot, waited a few days to see whether any died from the shock, then used scissors to snip off all but the best plant. That gave me one good plant in the pot, with as little stress as possible for that plant.

Since you have plenty of seedlings, you can try several things, and if a few die it's not a really big deal, because you will probably have plenty left.
I use the blade of my pocket knife to separate and lift out individual plants.
Thank you both.

Yes. I bury the stone as is about 2" to 4" deep.

Amazingly enough I have one that has survived through 5 winters and is a bush about 6' tall now.
Burying a stone right now. Fingers crossed it comes up in the Spring!

59281321-1CD7-4BD1-97F1-7192928235D7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom