Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Pheasant Eggs

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Duck Eggs

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Other (please tell us below)

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
I got a 40% hatch, 8 from incubator- 6 CCL and 2 American Breese but I think one is blue but not sure, but looks like 3 maybe 5 male ccls and 1 female
20200925_090808.jpg

had a little one running around the incubator this morning... sounded like 100 of them according to DH....
Oh and why has No One said anything about the quail sounding like the velociraptors from the original Jurassic park??? I swear every morning I wake up hearing the scene in the kitchen when they are tearing up all the metal equipment.... screech bang bang... ahhhhhh. yeah they may need a different home.
on a side note they look good and grew great!

I have been terrible about getting on and updating as well as keeping track of all my hatching stuff (losing count of how many eggs where, forgetting to check humidity, etc). Terrible chicken mom, I know. Messing with the batch of eggs that kept going rotten plus the incubator that the eggs are not developing quite right in (got the wafer to swap out and see if it does better now that it is empty again). Anyway.... I think out of 15 Aracauna eggs, I had 9 make it to lockdown and of that I think 5 hatched and 3 were DIS. Out of the 8 Salmon Faverolle, all 8 went to lockdown and I had 6 hatch and 1 that died between pip and zip and 1 DIS. Out of 8 EE I put 7 into lockdown and only got 3 to hatch, 1 died between pip and zip, and the other 3 were DIS. On all of those, the humidity dropped on me while I was messing with rotten eggs and an incubator and the Air cells got HUGE. I think that was why they were poorer hatches. My problem eggs (the Barnevelders)....Out of 18 I removed at least 5 that were smelling by day 7 and another 9 that were clear at day 10 I removed yet another smelly egg (developed) around day 13. 3 eggs made it to lockdown. 2 have hatched and I think the 3rd is probably DIS. Of the 2 that hatched, I had to assist 1. It's peep had gotten weak last night even after making a safety hole. I opened it up and found that it's beak had slipped under the membrane. Freed it's beak but it was still chewing, so put ointment on it and back into the hatcher. By this morning the membrane had dried to the chick and it could barely move. Put more ointment on it and found it ready to hatch, so helped it to the point it could at least kick out of the the egg. I left it for about an hour and then went and got it to remove the membrane that was stuck to it (covering an eye and about 1/4th of it's body). Used a toothbrush wetted with hot water and got it gently rubbed off and the chick is back in the incubator.

I had a bad hatch more in the spring, I had an incubator quit on me, then order a diff incubator that was delivered late, then I had to get used to the new incubator. Now I know the tricks of running it, but the last 4 are staggered because my roosters were young and the fertile was spotty. but of the 4 eggs set, My last one just pipped. (other 3 hatched)

Last edited:
Here's a question: I have the Cemani egg that should be going into lockdown on Monday, that would be day 14 for the EEs. Should I just pull everything out of the turners and let them all go into lock down? I can pull out 3 of the 4 turners too and just leave it on for the other eggs so not a full lock down. The Cemani should be hatched by the time the others need to go into lock down. Their air cells seem fine.

Back
Top Bottom