Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Breeder (shipped)

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • Breeder (local)

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Other (please comment below)

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters
Up it to about 40-45% if you can. If you correct it now, you shouldnā€™t have any issues.

Thank you, I wasn't sure how high to go to correct it. Didn't want to drown the poor things after nearly dehydrating them.

agree with @FortCluck . You're still early enough to fix this. Raise the humidity to about 45% and check again at Day 10. By then they should have lost about 5 1/2 or 6% of weight. Adjust again if needed.

Thank you for the reply. I'll weigh them all on day 10, hopefully I won't have to do much correcting by then. The breeder is in Texas and I'm in PA, so obviously what works for her isn't right for me.

Thank you, I wasn't sure how high to go to correct it. Didn't want to drown the poor things after nearly dehydrating them.

Thank you for the reply. I'll weigh them all on day 10, hopefully I won't have to do much correcting by then. The breeder is in Texas and I'm in PA, so obviously what works for her isn't right for me.
Should name them after those raisin people from back in the day

Yeah Texas usually is a lot more humid and they can get away with low humidity.

I also concur with @FortCluck and @TheBajan
I would up your humidity and reweigh in a couple of days to see if youā€™re on the right track. You can make smaller adjustments from there based on if you still have loss or if it stopped. It also really depends on your eggs and how porous they are - Iā€™ve had successful hatches with bantam eggs in with my duck eggs at a much higher percentage than I normally would for chicken eggs because the eggs had thin porous shells. :)
And never mind different states, different rooms in my house have enough of a difference in RH that I have to do almost opposite things with the 2 incubators Iā€™ve got running. šŸ¤£
*ETA tags

Yeah Texas usually is a lot more humid and they can get away with low humidity.

I also have central air and wonder if that is also making a difference. Either way my humidity is up to 42% now.

I also concur with @FortCluck and @TheBajan
I would up your humidity and reweigh in a couple of days to see if youā€™re on the right track. You can make smaller adjustments from there based on if you still have loss or if it stopped. It also really depends on your eggs and how porous they are - Iā€™ve had successful hatches with bantam eggs in with my duck eggs at a much higher percentage than I normally would for chicken eggs because the eggs had thin porous shells. :)
And never mind different states, different rooms in my house have enough of a difference in RH that I have to do almost opposite things with the 2 incubators Iā€™ve got running. šŸ¤£
*ETA tags

When I used the hygrometer in different rooms I noticed it did change depending on which room it was, not that I would have ever noticed that before hatching eggs.

Several of the eggs seem porous and have that speckled appearance when I tried to candle them. I also question if my hygrometer calibration is on target but going to go with it being 3 degrees to low, might really screw things up if I change things now.

Thank you all for the help :) it's much appreciated. Pretty sure if I get any chicks out of this it will be some luck with viable eggs and the rest is the knowledge and help I've learned here. Pretty sure I'd have already done them in if left to my own devices. Never thought about calibrating a thermometer until I came here. Pretty I'd have already cooked my little chicksšŸ¤£

D14 here in the first lot of eggs. the silkie eggs are still doing wonderful in their little incubator. I pulled two quitters from the main incubator, both leghorn crosses. I think two I have two clear or quitters in the Marans eggs but they are dark so I'll leave them until lockdown to be sure. Welsummers are day 5 and all 11 show development.

I need some advice from experienced hatchers. I'm hatching maran eggs, they were shipped. I'm weighing them to judge humidity because they're difficult to see anything. The breeder I bought from recommended 30-35% humidity. I calibrated my hygrometer by doing the salt test and after 24 hours it read 73, so I've been trying to keep my humidity between 27-32.

Well I weighed today (day 6) and holy cow I think I have a problem. If I'm understanding the weight that should be lost as 12%, so I multiplied each egg's weight by .12 and then divided by 3 to calculate how much weight should be lost each 6 days.

Well one egg started at 46.9 and today weighed 42 šŸ˜², most of my eggs lost 4gms in 6 days a few lost 2gms and 2 lost none.

Any advice would be appreciated obviously my humidity is far to low. Have I completely screwed these eggs or can this be compensated for?

Also should I post a separate thread for this? I have found good responses here.

I have not tried weighing my eggs. I have humidity set in my incubators the same for Marans eggs as all my other types of eggs. I can usually see a floating black "blob" in most my marans eggs by day 7. As long as the "blob" keeps getting bigger I call it good. Even this approach, I will not pull any marans eggs until day 14. @Vantic might have some idea what to do if not replied yet (still catching up on posts for the day).

Yeah! the first chick hatched, early this morning. It's day 23, and I had almost given up, but i had the temperature a bit lower this time, 38.2 was not working for me, so went for 37 still air. I'm hoping it will cheep the other ones out now, have to go to work, so we will see how it goes.

Attachments

• 20200813_064833.jpg
    20200813_064833.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom