Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Breeder (shipped)

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • Breeder (local)

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Other (please comment below)

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters
I am looking forward to next year when I will be hatching my own eggs! I just have to do shipped to get the breeds I want as no one around here has these breeds.
I got all my breeds from a local farm now Iā€™m set. It was hard though waiting for all the breeds to hatch at the farm then pick them up the day they hatch.

One of the ducks is almost out! My parents sent me a video. Iā€™m dying. Canā€™t believe theyā€™re hatching and Iā€™m not there! how will they know I love them if they donā€™t sense me checking them every 5 minutes?! šŸ˜‚

Hopefully theyā€™re all healthy etc, because I would feel awful if my parents had to deal with anything other than a normal hatch. Even though itā€™s 3 days early šŸ˜‚

I am looking forward to next year when I will be hatching my own eggs! I just have to do shipped to get the breeds I want as no one around here has these breeds.
That's my plan as well. I'm pretty excited for 2020 to just slide into the history books... it's been a strange one for sure. I still have so much to learn. I have no idea how to market my chicks or even eggs. I wanted to be NPIP certified but due to Covid-19, Michigan isn't doing any testing. Not sure when that will change.
In the meantime, I'm enjoying watching all these babies grow. I have 5 breeds and a total of 61 chicks. In the spring, unless I figure out marketing, I'm going on a strictly 100% egg diet. :plbbšŸ„š

If I can find myself some more (unrelated) Hedemora Iā€™ll probably be selling everyone but my pretty little silkie off and focusing on them. Everything about them is what I want for my flock, lol, except for their medium sized white eggs. Wonder if I could breed in the blue egg gene somewhere down the line? šŸ¤£ then Iā€™ll only be hatching my own eggs as well. Iā€™ve spent a fortune this season on eggs to try to get some of the breeds I wanted. Really disappointing to only wind up with 1 Legbar out of 2 dozen eggs total. :( the postal system bites...

Oh. The actual point of my posting! The quail eggs are due to hatch this weekend; had terrible rates so far, out of the 2 dz Iā€™ve got a total of 6 eggs that appear viable. One has already externally pipped since I checked them this morning. Iā€™m thankful these arenā€™t the special pastel collection eggs I ordered. šŸ˜…

Away on vacation for the last week. My mother in law was incubator sitting for me. (Didn't ask her to do much except make sure they were still runnin and fill the water well once.) Came home to a rotten egg smell in my vertical incubator....so stayed up late to candle all the eggs and find the bad one. Luckily it was just 1.....but unluckily, I also removed a ton of clear eggs and blood rings from that incubator as well. Pretty sure I will hatch in September, but cutting back to just the horizontal roller incubator I think - and ordering eggs from sellers I have received awesome eggs from. My last batch of deathlayer eggs ended up all clear (packaged really well, but air cells were absolutely horrid :rant), caught a FoxFire auction for Deathlayer eggs so bought them as I know they will do well. Going to try for more Pita Pintas and Araucanas I think - from same sellers as their eggs were packaged really well, and some blue Bresse from the seller I bought Bantams from. Might throw some of my barnyard cross eggs in the vertical gator I guess - just to make sure my problems are not from the incubator. I am getting tired of all the bad egg shipments - eliminated all the Wheaten marans, all the speckled sussex,Sussex, all but 1 of the swedish Flower hens, all of the Omega Hills CCLs, all but 3 of the Phoenix bantam and a few more...out of 60 eggs in that incubator, I am down to like 12. :hitI honestly think it is damage caused by shipping....but going to use some eggs from home to test because I just want to be sure.
That is a good test, I hope it works out.

So now the chicks dying seems to be done. Just the guinea died, but now I will not be having guinea next year. Anyway, I decided to count the flock additions in the chick brooder. 49 little buggers. If the Sandhill order comes in in the next two weeks it will be 69ish chicks to add to next year's breeding stock. Much like @kelseyk I am going to have to improve my customer base. šŸ˜

Back
Top Bottom