Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Breeder (shipped)

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • Breeder (local)

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Other (please comment below)

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters
I'd love to do a hatch this year but no broody hens. I prefer to hatch eggs naturally. However, I have 10 ducklings coming around July 27th if order doesn't get delayed and I might get a few bantam chicks next week. I lost my last bantam back in January, she was about 5. She loved sitting on duck and standard chicken eggs for me. She'd go broody every spring and sometimes in fall. Between her and another bantam hen, they hatched a couple dozen eggs. I kept only 1, a rooster.

UPDATE:
Well, looks like I've got a broody hen after all!!! Of all my hens, she's one of my meanest. She's one of 3 Cuckoo Marans that I have. She's setting on a Runner duck egg, 3 Easter Egger eggs (2 blue, 1 green) and possibly one of her own eggs. She just started setting on them on the 9th & 10th so that puts hatch dates of chicks on the 30th & 31st and duckling on 8/6 . Only thing is she's refusing to let me put her in a separate private area, a 2x3x4ft wire cage. She completely freaked out so I had to allow her to set in the nest. Problem is, it's the top nest. We do have an old small coop but it needs a bit of work as I haven't used it for almost 2 years. So over the next couple weeks its getting a new roof and floor for her and the anticipated chicks and duckling.

This is her in the top nest.
20200712_191755.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE:
Well, looks like I've got a broody hen after all!!! Of all my hens, she's one of my meanest. She's one of 3 Cuckoo Marans that I have. She's setting on a Runner duck egg, 3 Easter Egger eggs (2 blue, 1 green) and possibly one of her own eggs. She just started setting on them on the 9th & 10th so that puts hatch dates of chicks on the 30th & 31st and duckling on 8/6 . Only thing is she's refusing to let me put her in a separate private area, a 2x3x4ft wire cage. She completely freaked out so I had to allow her to set in the nest. Problem is, it's the top nest. We do have an old small coop but it needs a bit of work as I haven't used it for almost 2 years. So over the next couple weeks its getting a new roof and floor for her and the anticipated chicks and duckling.

This is her in the top nest.
View attachment 2240571
One of my meanest is hatching eggs too but she will be a great at protecting them.

Back
Top Bottom