Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Breeder (shipped)

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • Breeder (local)

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Other (please comment below)

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters
Okay, let's talk broody. One of my pullets, they are all just starting to lay, decided that indeed picking up the eggs twice a day was not enough and that she should sit on them. Suspected it starting two days ago, talk about it yesterday, and started kicking her pecking butt out of the nest box this morning and picked up the eggs on the hour today (which is uphill both ways, I'm just glad it isn't snowing). She is now confined to the brooder which has a mesh floor way away from her egg sharing support group. I'm blaming this whole thing on @FortCluck she did it somehow.

Enough background, here is the question. If I was to let her be broody but gave her some of the eggs I'm incubating and put her in a chicken tractor (no flock physical contact) that is still in the (mobile) run with the other girls, would this plague still spread? (note that as soon as I removed the first one another had ideas and was dissuaded).

Thanks as always
(edit to fix a word)

Okay, let's talk broody. One of my pullets, they are all just starting to lay, decided that indeed picking up the eggs twice a day was not enough and that she should sit on them. Suspected it starting two days ago, talk about it yesterday, and started kicking her pecking butt out of the nest box this morning and picked up the eggs on the hour today (which is uphill both ways, I'm just glad it isn't snowing). She is now confined to the brooder which has a mesh floor way away from her egg sharing support group. I'm blaming this whole thing on @FortCluck she did it somehow.

Enough background, here is the question. If I was to let her be broody but gave her some of the eggs I'm incubating and put her in a chicken tractor (no flock physical contact) that is still in the (mobile) run with the other girls, would this plague still spread? (note that as soon as I removed the first one another had ideas and was dissuaded).

Thanks as always
(edit to fix a word)
As long as they can see her, it will lol... mine all went broody, it was ridiculous

As long as they can see her, it will lol... mine all went broody, it was ridiculous

I really thought I was done with broody hens this year. I mean, who would want to go broody in 90-100 degree weather? ...I have 3 more broodies šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø. I can't keep up with these girls and I've hatched over 150 chicks this year. Lol

20200802_183308.jpg
20200802_183443.jpg
20200802_185620.jpg
so 13 chicks and 3 turkeys running around the brooder and 2 marans just hatched in the incubator

I purchased a tabletop incubator yesterday. Today is the start of day 18 and lock-down. I couldn't help feeling that by keeping all of the eggs in the same hatcher, I would be sacrificing some either to drowning or to being shrink-wrapped. So I'm keeping the larger eggs (12 total) that need to lose more weight rapidly in our DIY cabinet incubator without increasing the humidity. I'll continue to monitor them but it's pretty dry in there. The remaining 8 eggs are in the tabletop incubator that I just purchased with a higher humidity level (currently 60%). I did let it run for a bit and checked the temp/humidity levels with independent, calibrated thermometer and humidistat.
Cross our fingers, say some prayers for my babies... 20 went into lock-down but I'm pretty sure one of them quit last week. I'm just giving it the benefit of the doubt. :fl šŸ™

Back
Top Bottom