🎃October Hatch-a-long 2020🎃

Ok, so I told myself I was done for the year hatching eggs, BUT the lady (er chicken enabler!) I gave a bunch of little roosters to gave me 45 hatching eggs in exchange! :D :clap I can't waste them, right?! So I've got 1.5 dozen Silkie eggs, 1 dozen Black Copper Marans, and the rest are some Penedesencas (Spanish breed that lays dark brown eggs) and some unique Olive Eggers she came up with by crossing Swedish Flower Hens X Crested Cream Legbars. Today is day 5 and fertility is looking pretty darn good, only a couple obvious infertile ones, checking randomly, so fingers crossed! :fl They are due to hatch Oct 18th!

I did. I've had horrible luck with shipped eggs anyways, so if I get one I'll be shocked. But the challenge! LOL
The ones I got from her honestly didn't look all that bad, even coming from ID, to Seattle and then to Iowa. I think it's such an unnatural thing though to ride on a plane and be jostled around etc, so it's a wonder any of them make it. I kept them in an egg carton initially, and just tilted the eggs 45 degrees different ways rather than putting them in a turner or egg roller. I think by like day 12 I had them on their sides and in my roller/egg turner, as the air cells looked pretty good at that point. Still, one that hatched was weak and small. I had to baby him along and feed him extra yolk/electrolytes to perk him up. Shipping definitely messes with them.

Fingers crossed for the two remaining button quail eggs still in the incubator on being October late bloomers!
I just hatched a batch of Buttons yesterday! I find that if they don't all hatch within 36 hours of the first ones, that they died or need help. Have you candled them? At this point, I'd be going in and seeing if they're still alive. Buttons generally all hatch pretty close to one another, unless something's wrong. Out of 25 eggs, I had 3 that developed all the way to the end, but never made it out...one looked malpositioned, another looked small, maybe too weak and the 3rd I have no clue, it looked perfect, but it stopped zipping. I did have 2 that hatched the next day with assistance. They are both weaker and one has a curled foot that I'm hoping fixes itself.

I just hatched a batch of Buttons yesterday! I find that if they don't all hatch within 36 hours of the first ones, that they died or need help. Have you candled them? At this point, I'd be going in and seeing if they're still alive. Buttons generally all hatch pretty close to one another, unless something's wrong. Out of 25 eggs, I had 3 that developed all the way to the end, but never made it out...one looked malpositioned, another looked small, maybe too weak and the 3rd I have no clue, it looked perfect, but it stopped zipping. I did have 2 that hatched the next day with assistance. They are both weaker and one has a curled foot that I'm hoping fixes itself.
My only two boys hatched Tuesday, and not much signs have come since. These two are too dark to see inside, one I can just *barely* makeout a healthy looking airsac, but... The eggtopsy on other two results were not-fully absorbed yolks, and very large airsacs despite being visually fully formed.

three fuzz balls and I never had all my own eggs hatch, so I am pretty amazed.

Attachments

• 20201002_184017.jpg
    20201002_184017.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom