💔😞my duck is having so much trouble breathing ,please help

FaizanJatt

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2021

i recently brought her 4 days ago from a shop
she was absolutely fine back then and quite active.
2 days ago she was having trouble walking and was standing in awkward poses but i thought maybe it is cold so i put her in the room in the cage. and then now she doesnt seem to have difficulty walking instead she is having alot of problems breathing.
she literally moves up and down with every breath and opens her mouth. is this aspergilosis
she doesnt seem to eat much, or quack much, this quack in the vid was kind of exceptional, she recently makes a kind of peeping sound on breaths it almost looks like its having hiccups.
now she looks in so much pain, it breaks my heart to see her like this. please tell me what to do, it started breathing like this yesterday night and its morning right now.

What part of the world are you located? There could be a respiratory infection or disease, or something stuck in the throat. It can be hard to tell exactly what disease, since there are a number of respiratory diseases in poultry. Aspergillosis is caused by mold fungus. Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) is fairly common, and exotic Newcastles virus is common in some countries. MG can be treated with certain antibiotics, such as Tylosin, tetracyclines, and Baytril, but the other viruses and fungal infections do not respond to antibotics.

Unfortunately exotic Newcastles is very common in Pakistan. We have several other BYC members from there who have lost chickens or ducks to that there. It is contagious to other poultry, so it may be hard to prevent the others from getting sick. Here is some reading about symptoms of Newcastles (but we can’t know if that is what killed your duck) :
https://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/FastFacts/pdfs/newcastle_F.pdf

Unfortunately exotic Newcastles is very common in Pakistan. We have several other BYC members from there who have lost chickens or ducks to that there. It is contagious to other poultry, so it may be hard to prevent the others from getting sick. Here is some reading about symptoms of Newcastles (but we can’t know if that is what killed your duck) :
https://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/FastFacts/pdfs/newcastle_F.pdf
Although some symptoms are same but I think aspergillosis seemed more likely the reason, she matched all the symptoms for that,

So sorry. :hugs
Thank you so much , it just hurt cuz I tried very hard to save her, there are no aviary vets around here , I tried to check her if she had a egg stuck, then to see if something else is stuck etc in the end she didn't make it :(

Back
Top Bottom