šŸ’”Why do my ducklingā€™s run away from me?šŸ˜¢

AmyA248

Songster
Jun 20, 2022
Good morning,

I have yet another question. Lol!

I absolutely love my new baby ducklings.
They are handled and loved from day one.
Their brooder is in our kitchen so they see us all the time.
I have my 2, 1 1/2 week olds together and my day old one separated because of the size difference.
I keep them immaculate, talk to them, cuddle them and do everything right, yet they run away from me!
It makes me so sad because I really love them! šŸ˜¢

Iā€™ve even tried imprinting with a lone one that was by herself for 5 days until the next one hatched and I carried her everywhere in a sling and spend all my free time with her.
I work from home and see my patients via TeleHealth so Iā€™d have her on my lap while I was working too.
As soon as the next one hatched she imprinted with the new one and now runs away from me. Sheā€™ll only sit still if I rub her chest.

Why does this happen?
Am I doing something wrong? šŸ’”

Kindly,
Amy

Because they view you as a potential predator. They are a prey animal, and a prey animal at that without a mother than can possibly reassure them that you are a safe creature. They're stuck relying on instinct that tells them they're going to be eaten and killed when they are grabbed by a larger animal
Thank you!

I try so hard to make them feel safe. Like I mentioned, we snuggle them, hold them, sing and talk gently to them and try to make them think we are their protection.
They will follow us everywhere though, itā€™s odd because they follow us, then when we get down on their level they run away.
Itā€™s really upsetting my little girl because she adores them! šŸ’•
Iā€™m a newbie if you couldnā€™t tell by all my posts, Lol!
Do all ducklings do this? Because Iā€™ve read that people can get their ducks to imprint with them and they wear a Duck diaper and live happily in the houseā€¦
Iā€™m just really sad because Iā€™m so invested with starting my flock!

My first ducks are still finishing their development, so I have about a week left on them. But chickens are the same way I've had a few mellow out as they get older (hens) or more confident (cockerels), but as chicks and younglings, they want nothing more than to be left alone. They'll follow you because you are where the food and water comes from, but that's it they won't want attention on you. The people that have imprinted ducks often only have one, so it doesn't really have a choice

My first ducks are still finishing their development, so I have about a week left on them. But chickens are the same way I've had a few mellow out as they get older (hens) or more confident (cockerels), but as chicks and younglings, they want nothing more than to be left alone. They'll follow you because you are where the food and water comes from, but that's it they won't want attention on you. The people that have imprinted ducks often only have one, so it doesn't really have a choice
Thank you for your reply.

I wonder why that is? I feel foolish saying this, but it hurts because we love them so much.
I have a lone one right now thatā€™s 2 days old and my other two are 1 week and a week and a half. The size difference is unbelievable and Iā€™m afraid to put the tiny little one in with them.
I put them all together in their playpen and the older ones pecked at the baby relentlessly!!
And even my lone one runs away from me and I spent every spare moment with her because Iā€™ve read they can die of loneliness!
I wear a certain sweater that has very deep pockets and pop her in there while going about my business. And no, she definitely canā€™t jump out. šŸ„°

It actually makes my little girl cry because they run away from her and she canā€™t understand why..
I donā€™t really understand why either because they are so loved and well taken care of, right in our KITCHEN! Lol!

Iā€™m an animal rescuer/rehabber as well, and ducklings are the only baby animal that Iā€™ve ever had that wants nothing to do with you. šŸ˜¢

Kindly,
Amy

Try approaching them on their level rather than from above. Ducklings do go through a 'teen aged' fear spell, but these are young for that. Fowl tend to fear anything approaching from above.
Thank you!
Iā€™ll do that for sure. Itā€™s odd because even my 2 day old lone baby runs away and I have her with me all the time because I know she needs a companion and sheā€™s too young to put in with my older ones because they peck at her relentlessly and Iā€™m afraid for her because of the huge size difference!!

Kindly,
Amy

Attachments

• 669C6083-4654-4172-905A-D599780AA604.jpeg
    669C6083-4654-4172-905A-D599780AA604.jpeg
    460.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 3E68CC16-38D2-430E-9EFE-E7DCDDC93162.jpeg
    3E68CC16-38D2-430E-9EFE-E7DCDDC93162.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 3
Amy itā€™s not personal
Ducks are not like cats and dogs
I have hatched and raised many now
I have learned they would rather follow me around then be picked up and bothered
I know my ducks love me when they hear my voice thry come running to say hi well wagging their tails
Some of the boys do their happy dance
They will follow me
Eat from my hands
But only 2 of my 16 ducks donā€™t run from me when I go to pick them up
It doesnā€™t matter how much cuddling you do they are ducklings they want to run with their duck flock not their humans
As for having all these staggered hatches I hope you have stopped for now as itā€™s going to get harder and harder as the sizes prevent them from housing together till probably when they are at least a month old and have been able to see each other so they are bonding without touching
Itā€™s much better to collect eggs and put them all in at the same time

I have only raised Runners but itā€™s been my experience that chickens can be more at ease with humans than any of my ducks. Mine were friendly in that some of them would come nibble my pants legs, affectionately, and eat from our hands, but as adults only one ever cared to be held and even then you had to be able to catch her first. She was with me all the time her first few days as she was a friendā€™s only hatch until we found her a friend.

So, not lap birds for me, but very bright and curious and a pleasure to watch very near to us, if that makes sense.

I did ā€œcoffee with ducklingsā€ and spent lots of time down on their level, not chasing, moving very slowly, and often would have my hand in the brooder but still so they could explore at their comfort level.

Back
Top Bottom