😡Did I just kill my eggs?

FeatherTay

Crowing
Jun 28, 2020
Kansas
BD9D9C7C-AEA3-4799-AD95-A0A298337D0A.jpeg

Here is the new incubator. I moved all eggs but the peacock eggs into this one. The peafowl eggs didn’t fit. When I got the incubator the guy gave me a dozen of eggs so I’ve set those already.
9DFF036E-CCC7-4A77-AF85-2446D63EDCEA.png

Very front 4 are Dark Brahmas.
2 Middle are Copper Marans
4 to the top of the marans is Lavendar Orp
2 very top is a breed that the guy has made up himself... so we will se where that goes 😅

Once I got it cleaned out ( It was NASTY) I set up the incubator. I didn’t wanna put in any water until the humidity went down (78%!) So I didn’t. Next thing I know, the alarms that tell you when your humidity and temp is too high or low, are going off! I run down stairs where it is and realize...

SHOOT!!! MY INCUBATOR IS 115° F!!!!!!!

I know... I should have added water. My last hatch had too cold of temp for awhile, and of course this hatch had already gone AMAZING.🙄

Anyways. The temp was like this for less than 10 minutes. I ran to get water faster than you could blink and filled the bucket of water up.

Ok. I’m ready for the “really Taylor? You’re that stupid? and I thought you would know better then that!”

Anyone wanna tell me that it’s a-ok and I have nothing to worry about 😅 anyone?

Day 1 for my LA’s and JO’s and day 0 for the rest.

The temp was like this for less than 10 minutes.

The temperature that really matters is the one inside the egg. The air in the incubator can change temperature much faster than the inside of the egg does.

Given how quickly you noticed it, I think your eggs have a good chance of being fine.

Just try to keep the temperature right from now on, and candle sometime next week or so.

For future: it's a good idea to run the incubator for 24 hours before you put the eggs in, so you can have the conditions stable before you add the eggs.

I made a home incubator once...and didn’t realize my reader was faulty and old until I put a new on it it, turned out for about the first 4-5 day of incubation the temp was at about 105!!!! Most of the chicks hatched to be Roos, but they all hatched and are about to start crowing.

The temperature that really matters is the one inside the egg. The air in the incubator can change temperature much faster than the inside of the egg does.

Given how quickly you noticed it, I think your eggs have a good chance of being fine.

Just try to keep the temperature right from now on, and candle sometime next week or so.

For future: it's a good idea to run the incubator for 24 hours before you put the eggs in, so you can have the conditions stable before you add the eggs.
I agree, you could take an unfertile or room temp store bought egg and drill a small hole (big enough for a baby thermometer to fit the tip in, and monitor the inside temp that way while your trying to get the incubator correctly modified. Seen it on YouTube.

Thank you, I have hatched eggs 4 times before, and this is a new incubator, and for some odd reason it slipped my mind to let it run. I have no idea how. I was really busy that day though. (I had originally posted this in my other thread 2 days ago, no one responded)
Temp has since been holding steady, and I’m gonna candle June 2.

I made a home incubator once...and didn’t realize my reader was faulty and old until I put a new on it it, turned out for about the first 4-5 day of incubation the temp was at about 105!!!! Most of the chicks hatched to be Roos, but they all hatched and are about to start crowing.
😂 Maybe high temps cause roos!! I’m totally joking!
or am I?

If anyone wanted to know what happened to my eggs:
All 7 of my “JO’s” hatched. They turned out to be BLRW, but 6/7 were cockerels! None of my Lav A’s hatched one brahma hatched, and died shortly after. One Marans hatched “the really dark one” and is a pullet, as was 2/2 of the lav orps that I hatched. The green ones both hatched, one was a roo, and one was a hen! So I had a 40% hatch rate. And 63% were cockerels. @MommaHen1996 High temps definitely cause roos! :th

That's an interesting fact about temperature causing roos... On my last hatch, the first few days to first week was crazy hot. I was shocked that my hen was even still sitting. It eventually cooled off, but those first days were horrible. My hatch, which was a bad hatch rate, 3 chicks out of nine eggs, was 1 pullet, and 2 cockerels. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom