0 too much for dogs? Dog Shooting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oven Ready

Songster
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Thailand
We have had a recent plague of feral dogs and I am close to running out of shells.

I've got a Savage 69/E pistol grip with no choke, so not the best thing to aim with.

I usually use BB shot from at most 8 metres (25ft?) depending on where I set up the ambush and usually in the dark (light enough to see what I'm shooting though). The large number of pellets and the wide spread pretty much ensures an instant death for the unfortunate dog as at least one critical organ will be penetrated.

My ammo supplier only has 0 buckshot (nine pellets per shell) this week. This isn't the US - you kind of have to take what they've got when they've got it, it's all a bit..... errr... haphazard. I'd be OK for an M16 this week though, but not BB shells
roll.png

I was of the impression that 0 is more of a people stopper and wondered whether it would be less effective on the dogs, i.e. less likely to hit a critical organ.
I'm not worried about the extra range or penetration as the coop is well away from the house and there are no other buildings nearby, I'm just slightly concerned that I'd have to take two shots or the dog could escape very badly injured but not dead and I don't want to go trekking about in the dark (snakes, nasty snakes !). I also don't want to leave them to crawl off somewhere else on the property and die and attract yet more dogs.

Anyone use 0 on dogs?

eta - I wrote 00 instead of 0

Last edited:
Folks, please note the OP is from Thailand - there is likely a much larger issue with feral dogs there, and the OP may not have the choices we have in N.A. in which to deal with the problem. Please stay on topic, and if the question offends you, please move on & do not post.

0 is going to be more lethal than BB but also do more collateral damage. It will not be suitable if your shooting between buildings or toward anything else for a greater distance than BB. As for the aim issue your going to have to get some and set up a practice target at your intended range and learn the spread. This load will have considerable kick compared to BB so keep that in mind as well.

0 should work. Usually the bigger the bb's the bigger the animals they are made for as the bigger shot has more penetrating power than the smaller shot due to inertia

O or 1 would be ideal. I have used both on wild dogs in my neck of the woods and it has plenty of dropping power...Plus it has enough sting to it if its not a lethal shot to scare the dicken's out of them...But if I had a M-16 I would surely enjoying trying it on the band of dogs....

00 and 0 are wonderful rounds in my experience shooting a 12 gauge. With the proper firearm, you can keep those 9 little balls within an 18" area. I've used both 00 and 0 on deer sized creatures down to coyotes most of my adult life. In Michigan (USA) we are allowed to only use shotguns for hunting below Vienna road in the Lower Peninsula. North of that I use my trusty 30/06 although shells are getting hellishly expensive
hit.gif
Reconsidering using my 7.62x39 as a common carry but it's too heavy
sad.png

I've also used hollow point .22's on Coyote's .. another dog sized creature.. All depends on how much of a marksman you are, what is available, and what you can afford. That's why I took you through those 3 firearms.

DH says it should be ok - hes x militry so knows about guns. He says your range will be redused so aim for body not head shot! - He recomends the M16 but thats a bit over kill - he also mentioned something about hand grinades - Ouch!

I know nothing - I am but a furry K9 - think I will go hide -
hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif

Oesdog -
cool.png
Hope you get a good Kill shot !

The 0 would be fine, but you will have to be very close and correct with your aim.

Quote:
Thats why DH said take a body shot as its a bigger target for you!

Oesdog -
cool.png
still hiding
hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif

I for one am curious as OvenReady seems to have perfect English language skills... I would guess he/she is from the states, and is enjoying a care-free lifestyle in the wonderful country of Thailand... ANd Kudos to the moderator who stepped up and set the stage to avoid a firestorm. Thats all! Back to my weeding....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom